Over the years I've occasionally had some very large blood blisters come up on the side of my tongue when I've caught it on something I have been eating. I've usually just burst them with a sterile needle and they have been okay in no time.

However earlier this week I woke up with one already on the side of my tongue, about the size of a kidney bean, which is the size I have had in the past. I actually left it alone all day as I had read somewhere that it's best to leave them alone, but it did eventually burst when I was eating my dinner.

The problem I have now is that even though this was 3 days ago I am still in a lot of pain when I eat and drink. Last night I got into such a panic, which I know is really stupid, that I actually got up at 2am and went to A&E, but came home again when they told me I would have to wait 4hrs to see someone.

I did talk to my GP on the phone today and she just told me to keep putting something like Bonjela on it and to go and see her if it doesn't get better by the middle of next week. So obviously now I am getting even more worried, I keep thinking maybe I've somehow managed to get an abscess from this as the pain seems to be radiating towards my ear and down my neck.

I guess I am finding it hard to understand how something fairly trivial can be causing me so much pain and wondered if anyone else has ever had this.