Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Sensitive?

Too Sensitive?

Does anyone else feel that they overreact to things and are overall too sensitive?

If friends go somewhere and dont ask me to go as well, I get all upset and act like a silly little kid!

I read things into peoples actions as well. Such as if someone is talking to someone else and not including me, I think they no longer like me, that I'm boring or that I'm just not worth bothering with.

This then simmers away inside of me and I get really upset and angry about it even though it can be such a silly little thing to begin with.

I hate myself for doing this, but it happens all the time!

Is it just me, is it part of the anxiety or just a horrible personality trait of mine?[:I]

Kate x

Dear Kate,

I think this is linked more to self esteem than anxiety directly, but the anxiety will heighten the effects of any low self confidence/esteem.

A theory is that this may in part be due to perhaps not having the belief in so many powerful memories of previous major individual sucesses and achievements to draw on during rough times that help propel the anxious person through the worst times and back towards where they once were.

We all have succesess and achievements but by the nature of the beast , those with low self esteem will not credit themselves and recognise these as much as those with more self esteem will.

It's not a horrible trait but one that could do with some help to adjust it.

I certainly don't think you're alone. I have wondered whether an intensive self esteem course would be of more benefit than CBT for some people.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Meg,

Where can I find such a course? Does anyone offer them?

Daft question, I know, but I really don't know the answer!!

Kate x

Hi Kate,

Do you think this may be an issue for you ? It was only my opinion and I may be quite wrong .

Quite a lot of the adult education centres do something similar. Some Colleges also do basic NLP which would also help.

Or there are some online courses - but I've never looked at them carefully enough to evaluate them in order to recommend one . I'll have a hunt around.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Thanks Meg,

My self esteem is a big, fat zero!!

Thanks for having a look

Kate x

Kate

I did a self-esteem course at the local GP's surgery. Ask yours if they run one too.

Nicola

Thanks Nic,

I will phone up and ask.

Did it work?

Kate x

I think I could say I'm guilty of over reacting to certain things as well, but as others have said, I think it's more to do with a lack of self esteem or confidence rather than anxiety as I've always been a bit sensitive. I can really take things to heart at times, and was like this long before I suffered anxiety. I think it helps if you can find something your good at and others acknowledge that, it makes you feel better about yourself. For me it was athletics (only at club level mind you - I'm hardly an olympian) but I've let it all go for couch potato land as my anxiety makes me think something awful is going to happen if I exert myself too much.

Hiya Crispy Cornflake,

After thinking about it, I agree that it probably is a self esteem thing.

I'm not actually good at anything!! I have also become the classic couch potato and that doesn't exactly help with your self esteem does it?

I just get so worked up, angry and upset at the same time, when I feel that people are leaving me out of things.

I'm flipping 41 years of age but my thought processes seem extremely childish!!

Will definately look into the self esteem thing. Worth a go anyway!!

Kate x

I've always been to way too thin skinned for my own good.

Local colleges do many courses including Anger Management, Assertiveness Training and coping with anxiety. (These are usually free.)

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information