Thread: Psychosis?

Psychosis?

I had this weird thing happen this morning where I thought a bad intrusive thought and felt this rush in my body lke I had to do something or move around like there was this huge ball in my body of energy or something ..
    It made the thoughts I was feeling worse and in turn that made me feel more electric almost.
    I only take 20mg or propanolol a day but I'm scared of this psychosis thing now... I can't tell if that's whT was happening or if it was anxiety?!?
    Help anyone

Re: Psychosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexldn89 View Post
    I only take 20mg or propanolol a day but I'm scared of this psychosis thing now... I can't tell if that's whT was happening or if it was anxiety?!?
    This sounds like a surge of adrenaline followed by an increase in anxiety to me, not psychosis.

Propranolol works by blocking beta adrenaline receptors which should prevent the adrenaline rush, but it seems the dose is either inadequate, or because propranolol only has a very short half-life there may not have been much in your system if there was a long gap between the last dose and this happening. Do you take the 20mg in a single dose, or divided over 2-3 times a day and how long had it been since the last dose when this occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    This sounds like a surge of adrenaline followed by an increase in anxiety to me, not psychosis.

Propranolol works by blocking beta adrenaline receptors which should prevent the adrenaline rush, but it seems the dose is either inadequate, or because propranolol only has a very short half-life there may not have been much in your system if there was a long gap between the last dose and this happening. Do you take the 20mg in a single dose, or divided over 2-3 times a day and how long had it been since the last dose when this occurred?
    Heya!
    It was my first dose of the day I do two ten mgs a day.
    Was about 15 hours after my other dose.. quite a while ?!
    I was edgey today because I had to travel further than normal and was a bit worried and not to be crude it's my time of the month started yesterday so I feel really crappy and tired! So tired and I'm sick it's like all rolled into one!
    Propanolol has been really great to me ... I hate it when people put ideas in my head about stuff because their worried about it and it's like they want you to see the danger in it to .. and I don't want to ..

You wouldn't have known if it was psychosis. You would have been completely involved in the episode without questioning it. Once through it, someone else would be telling you how you were acting and you probably wouldn't even recollect it.

Because of the impairment to reasoning in it, it's likely you would be waking up in hospital care after being medicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexldn89 View Post
    Was about 15 hours after my other dose.. quite a while ?!
    I was edgey today because I had to travel further than normal and was a bit worried and not to be crude it's my time of the month started yesterday so I feel really crappy and tired! So tired and I'm sick it's like all rolled into one!
    All of which individually might be enough to trigger an anxiety attack, combined you were a sitting duck. Still, no real harm done to anything but your confidence maybe, so try to forget it and move on. Even those without a disorder have adrenaline surges/anxiety attacks when life gets on top of them. It's all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    All of which individually might be enough to trigger an anxiety attack, combined you were a sitting duck. Still, no real harm done to anything but your confidence maybe, so try to forget it and move on. Even those without a disorder have adrenaline surges/anxiety attacks when life gets on top of them. It's all part of the rich tapestry of life.
    The problem I seem to have is at first I had bad health anxiety that focused solely on if something hurt I'd panic and worry about it etc but as soon as I coached myself out of that my brain was Almost like what's next?!
    So now I worry a lot about my mental health.. so if I get a bad intrusive thought I worry I'm going mad ..
    like what I explained to you yesterday, I felt lke I was going mad and I was so worried about it it upset me so much. So now when I think about going mad or losing my mind instead of thinking about a pain or my heart I'll still get a small like pulse of adrenaline rush through then I'll shake it off but I'm left with worry and anxious over my thoughts etc ..
    so it's a bit of an annoying one really!
    Cannot seem to win

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    You wouldn't have known if it was psychosis. You would have been completely involved in the episode without questioning it. Once through it, someone else would be telling you how you were acting and you probably wouldn't even recollect it.

Because of the impairment to reasoning in it, it's likely you would be waking up in hospital care after being medicated.
    Any good advice on helping my thought process not get to overly anxious about my mental health?

Thread Information