Thread: Confused about how to help myself

Confused about how to help myself

I feel at a loss about what kind of therapy I need - in regards to both professional therapy and resources to look into myself, such as books.

I keep seeing that CBT is the best treatment for anxiety, so I was gonna do that yet when I read about what it entails I notice it talks a lot about confronting your fears. Examples I've seen are say, someone who is afraid to go into a shopping centre may be given ways it ease into this fear to eventually confront it e.g. Perhaps by first looking at photos of the shopping centre.

Yet I don't know how that could help me as I am struggling to identify any easily definable triggers, because my anxiety feels so generalised. A month ago i was travelling and my anxiety latched onto fears of illness or safety. Yet now travel is over and I have nothing to focus on there are no triggers, just waves of discomfort that come and go for no reason. if I do have deep seated triggers somewhere in there I expect they are more due to the fundamental nature of life e.g. We all will die, someday this decade my parents will likely get a serious illness due to their old age. How the hell do i treat that kind of anxiety? I'm hoping to start an anti depressant soon but I'd like to get a form of therapy too, I just wish I knew which was best for my specific type of anxiety and depressive thoughts.

Sorry for such a negative post x

Re: Confused about how to help myself

Maybe it would be best to talk to your GP about this to start with and see what they suggest. They may suggest a different form of therapy and maybe lifestyle changes.

Re: Confused about how to help myself

Thanks Charlie, my GP put me on a plan that gives me 6 free sessions with a psychologist, I have to source the psych myself. I saw one 4 times previously but all we did was talk. He let me talk for 80% of the sessions and didn't offer as much feedback as I would have liked, I didn't find it that helpful and I don't want to go back to him and have that approach used. I have heard about other approaches like Acceptance Therapy or CBT but that's about it, I'm not sure what else is out there or what might be a better approach. If anyone reading this has had a certain approach used on them I'd like to hear what it was like and what you thought of it

Thread Information