Thread: Allergies to antidepressants

Allergies to antidepressants

Hi I've had so many different horrendous allergies to different antidepressants over the last 4 months. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm feeling so desperate its like my body doesn't want to help me and I suffer from crippling depression and anxiety
    Has anyone been through this and finally found a suitable med? I feel like such a freak
    thanks

Re: Allergies to antidepressants

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_87 View Post
    Hi I've had so many different horrendous allergies to different antidepressants over the last 4 months.
    First lets establish whether it is actually an allergic reaction because some antidepressants can cause, usually harmless, skin rashes, etc, in the first few weeks just through their irritation of serotonin receptors in the skin. It makes and uses about as much serotonin as the brain.

Which antidepressants have you taken, what were the symptoms with each of them and how much were you taking when the symptoms began?

I was told by multiple gps they were allergies, so I'm not trying to figure out if they still were or anything, as I know they definitely were.

Kiwi x

I am new on this site. Have had allergies and bad reactions to all antidepressants. I need an antidepressant, but doctors say I am allergic to all kmown classes, what to do? Appreciate any advice from anyone who has this, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Limb View Post
    I am new on this site.
    to NMP,

Have had allergies and bad reactions to all antidepressants. I need an antidepressant, but doctors say I am allergic to all kmown classes, what to do?
    "Bad reactions"/side-effects I believe, allergies, not so much. Antidepressants (ADs) range from primarily serotonin reuptake inhibitors through combination serotonin+noradrenaline, aka norepinephrine, inhibitors to primarily noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors in 4 main classes, SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs and MAOIs, plus several in classes of their own that have little, if any affect on either serotonin, or noradrenaline pathways, and with a wide diversity of chemistry even between ADs in the same group. It is very, very unlikely that all of them would trigger a true allergic reaction, especially given some of them are very potent antihistamines, indeed more potent than many of the meds marketed as antihistamines.

OTOH, side-effects at the beginning are fairly common, especially with SSRIs and SNRIs because serotonin has many functions throughout the body which may be affected as much, or even more than the brain by the meds initially. They can't always be avoided, but they can usually be kept at tolerable levels.

What have you tried, what was the maximum dose taken, how long did you take that dose and what caused you to stop taking it?

Thread Information