Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nobody wants to help me

Re: Nobody wants to help me

I agree with you, pulisa. Just hoping he might get lucky trying it out as so many won't even know they can.

To be honest, I expect this doesn't marry up with how local managers see their version of the NHS. It's all money, they won't want others patients.

I'm just speaking from my experience trying to get therapy for my daughter and having to go out-of-county but I know this was in the "learning disability" category and more complicated to access. Shouldn't have been though but she was only allowed one course of ACT therapy and that was the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I've never heard of MIND, thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into it

I live in Derbyshire. I hope you're right with MIND, I don't know how I'd be able to cope if I get let down again

Thank you for such a detailed response, there's definitely a lot here I'll have to think about. It feels so unfair that I would have to research and chase help so desperately when I'm in such a vulnerable position and asking professionals for help.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Thank you all for the replies so far, I hope I can still find the will/energy to pursue these suggestions since you've taken the time to offer the advice.
    Hey it's ok Mind don't operate like that they are a trusted charity www.mind.org.uk Also if you aren't too far from Derby there is a Changes office (another very good MH Charity) with many workshops/meetings and more www.changes.org.uk HTH

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The updated NHS policy gives the patient the choice of provider but not that the treatment. There are bound to be managers who will try to put you off knowing they are taking the work of a neighbouring service.

So, we may get some struggles but it's probably worth asking PALS what to do when providers don't want to allow the policy to work.

Yes, Dave, it's for mental health in general. Although I can see problems with the policy like when you get to CMHT level.

Worth a try though. It's not necessarily a country border. We have two in my city, north & south so it's a few miles to me. Larger cities may have more like London.
    Ahh Right this is what I am saying where I live there is no funding to help with my severe hoarding problems but go to a different post code about 2 miles away (still in the same county) then they will help, so by getting access to a different provider may help me? Cause at the mo I am struggling big time and not ashamed to ask for help Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Ahh Right this is what I am saying where I live there is no funding to help with my severe hoarding problems but go to a different post code about 2 miles away (still in the same county) then they will help, so by getting access to a different provider may help me? Cause at the mo I am struggling big time and not ashamed to ask for help Cheers
    At IAPT level you are North I reckon, I'm South. Some people love near that border anyway as it will be passing through SOT in the busier areas. So, over to the South you've got Healthy Minds who are in the Rethink network, and connected up loosely to Changes.

That's just Level 2 & 3 though. Once you get to Level 4 it's the CMHT's and I bet there is only one of them, and above that it's going to be places like Bradley for the in patients or the one over at Stafford.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm just speaking from my experience trying to get therapy for my daughter and having to go out-of-county but I know this was in the "learning disability" category and more complicated to access. Shouldn't have been though but she was only allowed one course of ACT therapy and that was the limit.
    I got told that myself once my CBT time was up. It's just about pathways, lists, buckets, etc and once you've been through X you seem to get dumped out the other end with nothing.

It's particularly ludicrous with your daughter who needs much more than we do. It's scary that those that need it most seem to have the least provision.

I know you don't watch programmes about this stuff but I was watching one about a place you probably know about, St Andrews. What a disgusting, vile place little better than Bedlam. There were a couple of ASD young adults on there and they way they were treated The parents were fighting to get them out. It would have made you very angry.

At IAPT level you are North I reckon, I'm South. Some people love near that border anyway as it will be passing through SOT in the busier areas. So, over to the South you've got Healthy Minds who are in the Rethink network, and connected up loosely to Changes.

That's just Level 2 & 3 though. Once you get to Level 4 it's the CMHT's and I bet there is only one of them, and above that it's going to be places like Bradley for the in patients or the one over at Stafford.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

I got told that myself once my CBT time was up. It's just about pathways, lists, buckets, etc and once you've been through X you seem to get dumped out the other end with nothing.

It's particularly ludicrous with your daughter who needs much more than we do. It's scary that those that need it most seem to have the least provision.

I know you don't watch programmes about this stuff but I was watching one about a place you probably know about, St Andrews. What a disgusting, vile place little better than Bedlam. There were a couple of ASD young adults on there and they way they were treated The parents were fighting to get them out. It would have made you very angry.
    This is what Iam saying if by using that law that allows me to seek help in Stoke then I can get help with my hoarding there is currently nothing in Newcastle? How would I go about this would my GP be my first port of call on this? Cheers

There is an IAPT provider that covers the North which will cover Newcastle. Are they the ones you've been speaking to already?

The trouble with IAPT's is that they are limited because they are more for sessions at a centre. If it's home support you need then it's more the CMHT level to get to where they have nurses, social workers, psychiatrists, etc. CMHT's need a doctor to refer you though.

For both the IAPT's I think you can call them without a GP referral. They both have websites showing what they do and how they take you.

There is an IAPT provider that covers the North which will cover Newcastle. Are they the ones you've been speaking to already?

The trouble with IAPT's is that they are limited because they are more for sessions at a centre. If it's home support you need then it's more the CMHT level to get to where they have nurses, social workers, psychiatrists, etc. CMHT's need a doctor to refer you though.

For both the IAPT's I think you can call them without a GP referral. They both have websites showing what they do and how they take you.
    What is a IAPT (should have asked a while back LOL ) And would you know the name of it? So I am not sure if I have spoke to them. I have spoke with Revival and Well being but that's it really No wonder some ppl have so much despair and don't know which way to turn. it's a nightmare. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    What is a IAPT (should have asked a while back LOL ) And would you know the name of it? So I am not sure if I have spoke to them. I have spoke with Revival and Well being but that's it really No wonder some ppl have so much despair and don't know which way to turn. it's a nightmare. Cheers
    This might be yours:

http://www.northstaffswellbeing.co.uk/

Check out the IAPT provider link earlier in the thread. It's a search facility on NHS Choices that you just put your post code in.

The other for south is Healthy Minds:

http://healthy-minds.org.uk/

The interesting thing is that mine (Healthy Minds) just says you need to be registered with a GP. Whether they check you are in their catchment area, I couldn't say, but they likely will.

IAPT is = Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT). It's a scheme brought in so we didn't have to see the CMHT's for our mental health issues which meant they get on with what they were set up for, the more complex & serious stuff.

IAPT is the framework, the NHS gives out grants and charities have stepped in to take the cash to provide services to IAPT standards. It's basically a stripped down version with less qualified staff who aren't multidiscipline like those at the CMHT are. It's like a filter really. But it gives us a quicker way to access any help at all, which prior to 2008 when I first tried was 12 months minimum for anything.

This might be yours:

http://www.northstaffswellbeing.co.uk/

Check out the IAPT provider link earlier in the thread. It's a search facility on NHS Choices that you just put your post code in.

The other for south is Healthy Minds:

http://healthy-minds.org.uk/

The interesting thing is that mine (Healthy Minds) just says you need to be registered with a GP. Whether they check you are in their catchment area, I couldn't say, but they likely will.

IAPT is = Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT). It's a scheme brought in so we didn't have to see the CMHT's for our mental health issues which meant they get on with what they were set up for, the more complex & serious stuff.

IAPT is the framework, the NHS gives out grants and charities have stepped in to take the cash to provide services to IAPT standards. It's basically a stripped down version with less qualified staff who aren't multidiscipline like those at the CMHT are. It's like a filter really. But it gives us a quicker way to access any help at all, which prior to 2008 when I first tried was 12 months minimum for anything.
    Ahh right makes sense now Yes that would be the one (first one I contacted) they could help me in my area sadly. So How do get on the south side where there is help? And yes I am registered with a GP in the north side which I were I live Thank Cheers

Look on the website, if they take self referrals you just give them a call. I think they do now, they didn't when I went a few years back.

It's a gamble. I don't know what they will say or whether they will even check. If they do and don't agree with it, they will just say contact the one for the North.

They will be offering the same services though, or very similar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information