Thread: PSA tests (prostate)

PSA tests (prostate)

OK... i had a PSA test free at work (prostate check) and the letter came back as saying my result was 1.11 and that it was higher than expected for my age (the borderline was 1.11 and my test came back as 1.111!!!). They have done a retest and i'm waiting for the results of this.
    I called the doctors on the recommendation of the letter i received and was told that this is a normal reading and they only follow up on readings of 5 or over. On another note, PSA tests are not really reliable and doctors don't offer them because of this as it can cause anxiety in people who don't really have anything to be worried about!

So, was i reasured by the doctor's comment? Not completely! I have got a dull ache in my lower right abdomen seemingly coming from my groin area going up to my side above the pelvis; i keep feeling an ache in the "under-carriage" area and the pain sometimes creeps round to my side and kidney area.
    Now, after following up with information on Prostate issues, one of the symptoms of prostate cancer is pain in the lower back and pelvis so i've kinda got hooked on that (even though i am sure i have nothing to be concerned about). I'm wondering whether i'm exacerbating these symptoms i'm getting through the anxiety i'm feeling or whether it is something that i need to investigate further.

On top of this, my 36 year old friend has just been told that her melanoma that was removed last year has now gon into her liver and spine and that she won't see her daighter grow. I am grieving for her but the fact that this could have been avoided plays on my mind (she was told that the mole she had would never become cancerous so she didn't have it removed - she was offered removal but refused based on the diagnosis as she was pregnant at the time).

So, work have told me it is higher than it should be (revenue-generating i assume, as they will be paid to do another test if they set their borderline result low), docs have told me it's completely normal. I suppose i am anxious that the retest result will have increased. I may feel better if i get a lower result or it stays the same.

Also, if anyone DOES have a PSA test in the future, remember this... don't drink alcohol or coffee, cycle or ejaculate 48 hours before the test as it can increase the result. It didn't tell me this before my first test and i was drinking alcohol and coffee all around my test (didn't cycle and i can't remember whether i indulged in the "other!!).
    Last edited by Acidomoduso; 24-04-12 at 05:01.

Re: PSA tests (prostate)

Just received my latest result... it's gone up to 1.14!

Now, still nothing to write home about, but in my mind... it went UP and not DOWN! They didn't seem to concerned about it when they told me the result and, as we already know, the doctors don't consider it a worry until it hits 5. Strangely, though, my free total ration was more normal than it was with the lower reading (24% instead of 21% - the higher the figure the better the result).

So, i'll mention it on my next doc's appointment (got one next week to discuss my blood pressure tablets anyway) and see what they say.

Not what i wanted really but i'll go with it for the moment.

Relax, you have nothing whatsoever to worry about. I would be absolutely over the moon for your PSA result.

My highest result was 7.6.

Thank you for replying - 7.6? What did that mean for you? I take it that it isn't that high anymore?

Anyway, I popped to the Docs this morning to have my BP meds checked before getting a repeat prescription and she checked the prostate while i was there - she said that it feels smooth and the correct size. Couple that with the readings and she is happy with the diagnosis. It has eased my mind somewhat.

Thread Information