Thread: Menopause anxiety

Menopause anxiety

My name is joanne and I am suffering with bad anxiety so thought it would be helpful to chat with other people who suffering aswell and ways to deal with it

Re: Menopause anxiety

Me too. I am sure mine has been triggered by the menopause. It helps to have a small goal each day - mine today was to buy some Lucozade (no appetite!). I am taking Citalapram and waiting for an increase in the dose to take effect. How does it affect you? and have you found anything helpful?

Mine got worse during menopause then it settled down when i completed the change , im five years post menopause now but recent events have caused my anxiety to become so bad with horrible symptoms, i also think it could be one final attempt for the estrogen to kick in but it lost lol , still the anxiety is less now my youngest is talking to me again and other family issues are being sorted out . Menopause certainly does highten anxiety .

Hi Joanne,

I start the menopause when I was 50 I had all sorts of symptoms - hives, hot flushes, morning sickness, muscle problems, menorrhagia, itching and depression all linked/caused by the menopause. I was taking prozac until about one and half years ago, other symptoms went when I was on HRT which I stopped taking two years ago cause of other health problems - high blood pressure and diabetes, with no further symptoms. my periods are 3 months apart between each one I am now nearly 57 and started to have hot flushes, itching, depression and anxiety again in the last two months. The doctor has put me on citalopram and has taken blood to test for hormone levels, anaemia, thyroid and Hb1AC for my diabetes, he is checking what is causing the hot flushes, I am certain hormones, hot flushes anxiety and depression is all linked.
    Last edited by jillycoops5; 28-04-15 at 22:56. Reason: grammer

Menopause triggered my GAD eight years ago.
    I also suffered with lots of hot flushes throughout the day. it's more than just feeling uncomfortably hot - I used to get this horrible feeling with them, like I was going mad.
    I heard about a supplement called DHEA (google it if you're interested) and I asked my GP at my next visit if it was ok to try as I've never seen it in the shops. He'd never heard of it but I went ahead and bought some on line anyway.
    It worked a treat for me. My hot flushes went from about 20 a day to around 2 and they rarely wake me up through the night now.

Hi Tish,
    I thought that I was the only one (silly I know) that had depression caused by the menopause I didn't think I would have it twice though and this time around I have GAD which I found worse than just depression alone. The Citalopram seems to be doing the trick with the hot flushes and of course the depression and anxiety.

im 8 years post menopause. I had a 10 year transition through the menopause with every symptom known and more !! I go through periods for months on end of peri meno symptoms. Particularly muscular, lightheadedness, acid, anxiety etc..

Hello there,
    I know your post was from some ago, but was just wondering how you are doing. I am 8 years post and am still having hot flashes........The doctors are of no help. I have been having really bad stomach/issues. I went on a medication for that and the hot flashes went away. Because this medication caused weight gain, I chose to come off it,and bam, the hot flashes are back. Also I suffer daily with facial pressure, ear plugging with off balance feeling, so with al lof this going on, my anxiety has creeped back.Being 60 years old is not fun.......
    Hoping you are better, and just wanted to check in.
    Ellen

I'm not menopausal - yet. BUT I know for a fact that menopause causes anxiety/panic. I've had to put myself into artifical menopause during fertility treatment through injecting a drug that blocks the hormones... I hadn't had panic attacks for years until I did that... wow... it was horrendous. I felt like I was dying. Doesn't bode well!

xxx

Hi hope you dont mind me butting in. i am only 47 and feel dreadful.. i have all the syptoms of menopause but keep getting told i am too young.. my worst sympton is anxiety and the face pressure feeling and unbalance oh and occasionally feel like i am losing it..i have to cry and it helps for a little bit.. i am taking 10mg of propranolol but dont think it is doing anything,, any suggestions would help.
    Thank you and stay stong all.

Thread Information