Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Words of Wisdom" that helped me.......PLEASE READ

"Words of Wisdom" that helped me.......PLEASE READ

I want to start by saying that my intent is not to preach to anyone about their or any religion.

I have recently been reading up on buddism (a close friend of mine is a buddist and always has a wise word for situations and seems to always hit things on the head). I have found it very enlightening and very positive especially with how im feeling with anxiety and panic. It works along the lines of optimism and pessimism, finding the balance and the understanding of ones self.

Im by no means a religous person but the story about buddha is how he sets about to enlighten himself about life. things like "all we perceive is mind made and reality is what our minds make it" . buddhism is a religion without a god, its more about discovering our inner self. it shouldn't contradict any belief you may have. Like many of the bible stories it is an interesting read.

one quotation i found to help is

" knowing and regarding reality as it is, one should know the true facts about this earthly life and look at it without making excuses, and regulate ones daily life according to this knowledge and standpoint."

here is where i read the story if your wanting a look

http://buddhism.about.com/library/blbudlifebirth1.htm

I recommended this site to someone and they replied "I went to the link Amanda suggested and I spent 1.5 hours reading... I really enjoyed this site and have added it to my favorites. THANKS Amanda!" so for the benifit of all who may miss that post, i thought i would start a new post.

Thought i would mention it as it help me feel a wee bit of possitivity, as i am a negative person and my glass is never anything but half full!

In the most part, the teachings or books of buddah is all about your interpritation of them and i look upon them as a sort of guidance to help me find the right way to think etc. Its also excellent at making you put negative experiences in a possitive light. If something good happens and we veiw that as luck, we think we are lucky. But if something bad happens, we might not have realised that it took for that bad experience to happen so we can then benifit the good one.

A quotation from the book "The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mulla Nasrudin":

Assumptions

"What is the meaning of fate, Mulla?"

"Assumptions."

"In what way?"

"You assume things are to go well, and they don't- that you call bad luck. You assume things are going to go badly and they dont- That you call good luck. You assume that certain things are going to happen or not happen - and then you so lack intuition that you dont know what is going to happen. You assume that the future is unknown."

"When you are caught out - you call that Fate"

__________________________________________________ ______

The book is by Idries Shah and is full of little verses of wisom, some of which may make no sence today but could mean something another day, depending on where you are and how you feel. Your frame of mind can be challenged by the humour and wisdom in what you read.

I hope that this is perhaps another slant on something that can inspire and in someways help provide possitive thought for those of you who are having a bad day and need that little bit of possitivity to help you through the day.

Let me know if this helps please, or i can shut up on this matter if ive babbled on too much! :0)

I send a possitive (((((hug))))) to ya'll

Amanda XXX

__________________________________________________ ____________

" knowing and regarding reality as it is, one should know the true facts about this earthly life and look at it without making excuses, and regulate ones daily life according to this knowledge and standpoint." - the book of Buddism

just put it on my faves list andbeen looking at the site!!Thanks,every thing helps.My sister id a buddhist and goes to london every sooften to study[you can go as far as you like with it,she has a buddhist name now]although she has never said as much,i think her problems set her on this path of enlightenment!She too suffers with panic/anxiety.tho is so much better that she can now get a litle preachy??!!So now i can look for myself,thanks mate!lol mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

I just quickly want to add, in case in comes across that im preaching, Its all about making you take a good hard look at yourself and evaluate your thought process (kinda what i beleive CBT to be like although i have yet to experience that, im waiting to start). To read and gain something its not a case of betraying any beliefs, just gaining a bit of possitivity and perspective.

Buddist monks take the teachings of buddah to the extream, but if interpreted as intended, buddism is about making people finding their on way, without causing harm to others.

Amanda XX

" knowing and regarding reality as it is, one should know the true facts about this earthly life and look at it without making excuses, and regulate ones daily life according to this knowledge and standpoint." - the book of Buddism

oh amanda,i hope you didn't think i meant you ??oh i would crawl up somewhere nasty if i thought i' offended you!i think this is fab,the info you have given and i am so glad to be able to read it with out havin my sister be condecsending[i dont think she means to]keep postin,hey how about a thought for the week that would be great.soz if i ofended youl lol mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi mandie

I have began to look into bhuddism and I am always open to anything that will help me to cope with anxiety. A wonderful enlightening book is "A Gradual Awakening" by Stephen Levine. I refer to it daily and when I am down it gives me hope and inspiration. I like you would never preach to anyone because I truely believe that when the time is right to study this religion your time will come.

Take care and hope u are well

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Not at all Mary-rose. i just got a bit paranoid that i was giving that impression. the last thing i want to do is cause any ill will or anything. i just want to try and help.

sorry if i gave that impression. it just prompted me to try and clarify

(((((HUG)))) to you MR :0)

AmandaXX

thanks for the pm and the reply Amanda,phew!What are we like??I thought i'd out about the thought for the week on here see what others think.A saying or inspirational thought from any one would be good i think,any thoughts any body??love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mandie

Thanks for the link have already had a little look.

Your not coming over as preaching at all hun.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Hi Mandie

Thanks going to have a look at it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

I have a personal opinion about religions and beliefs. Some beliefs preached by religions like meditation, prayers, faith and hope help greatly in coping with difficult times. But it is a responsibility on every one to use clever discrimination and not get into all the untrue beliefs part of every religion in the world. Each and every religion will have a subset of (superstitions) beliefs which directly contradict with another. Not only this the possesiveness and obsession with which people identify themselves with some religion, I think is not very healthy.

Also people with some obsessions can get very obssesive with some supersitions. So I stongly suggest that we just use those beliefs and practices that are rational and resonable and ignore others. Also it is important to not call our bunch of belifs with any perticular regions name, instead it might be better to keep them as just personal anxiety coping beliefs, rather than any perticular religion.

If every one in the world is capable of thinking of religion in perspective, then lots of wars and conflicts in the world may not have existed.

Ram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information