Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh dear...migraine aura!

Re: Oh dear...migraine aura!

Hi. I've suffered from migraines since I was 23 (I'm now 47) and its a family thing with us also. My mum gets them, my brother and now my kids who are 13 and 15 get them. We just have to carry on as normal with them. I have had medication from the docs to take when an attack starts (as soon as the aura appears) but to be honest these tablets made me feel worse so now I just take migraine stuff from the chemist if I need to. My kids are used to seeing me having migraines over the years so they know what they are and take it in their stride really. I wouldnt worry about it too much but maybe mention it to the docs when you are next there. For me, I dont think occasional migraines are too much of a problem and I certainly dont want the kids or myself taking medication every day unless the attacks become very frequent, which luckily at the moment they are not. Really stressful situations can trigger them with me but usually they are just random. Good luck.

Thanks humly. I only wish the family connection was a little more obvious so I could put my mind a little more at ease....I have an older brother and two younger sisters and apart from one of my sisters having her first and so far only one last year after giving birth, none of them have ever suffered and I would've thought that by now surely one of them would've shown a similarity??? It's also strange that I had my real episode with these auras last year and they were regular until jan this year and then not long after my daughter has had one! Isn't it strange with the coincidence? I dunno, clearly the whole migraine thing just doesn't settle with me because other then the one incidence I had with my eye at 11 or 12 I haven't had anything like it until 33! I only hope that Bella gets a big break before the next one!

Thanks again for the reassurance

xx

I have had auras all my life will be 70 this year-no ill effects-I am lucky that I just get auras and no pain at all-it start with a flashing half circle in one eye gets bigger and seems to move under my nose because for a while there are no lights then comes from inner other eye and works its way across then goes.Fell a bit tired after but that is all.My mother had them as well.

Hi. I see you've had a lot of replies, and I haven't read them all so I'm sorry if I'm repeating what someone else has said.

I started getting migraines when I was around 18, and I got them from my Mum. Sometimes I get them with an aura beforehand (I get very clumsy and have a sense of unrealness) and other times I don't. Our GP believes that it's a hormonal thing that was passed to me when my mum was expecting me - she started getting her migraines when she fell pregnant with me. I haven't yet overcome them, but my mum has and she attributes that to taking Feverfew and Magnesium supplements. You could perhaps have your daughter's mineral levels etc. checked at a complementary health clinic, and ask about if she is old enough to take a dose of Feverfew daily?

One other thing: I know it must be awful to see your daughter suffer, but please try not to worry that she will experience things exactly the same as you have. Even though my mum and I both had migraines, we experienced them in very different ways, so there is no saying that your daughter will suffer as you have (for example, my mum got a blind spot and flashing lights, which I haven't had). Not knowing whether that will be the case or not is the most anxious thing though, I know.

Also, I try to take some comfort from getting a migraine attack in a weird sort of way, because I know how to deal with it, and I recognise it. I take my medication when I first recognise the symptoms, I go and lie down and I wait for it to go away (usually asleep). I know then that that will be the end, which is a feeling I don't get with the anxiety/panic attacks.

Good luck.

Oh, and I forgot to say: I also have a younger sister, who has never experienced a migraine, even despite mum and I both suffering, so it seems to me that sometimes these things skip siblings, much the same as siblings aren't guaranteed to have the same hair/eye colour etc.

I get migraines with aura just like you describe. Flashing zig zag lights on the periphery of my vision and then the vision itself goes weird, blank spot that kind of thing. Lasts about 25 mins and then comes the thundering headache and vomitting. Only had 3 in my life (I'm 33) thank god.

I don't think they cause any harm beyond how awful they make you feel when you're having one. I used to work with someone who had them more than anyone I've ever known. They'd be once a month easily and she'd have to run off and sit in a darkened room at work for ages waiting for the flashing lights/vision probs to go so she could make it home.

They're horrid things - I tend to get them at times of v extreme anxiety.

Thankyou to all of you for sharing your experiences. Please know that everyone of your replies has brought me extreme comfort.
    I just had my first one in 5 months 2 days ago!! And i honestly think it was the worst one!! The aura hung around alot longer then the typical 30mins!!! And i was in bed the entire next day still having the migraine pain.
    I really have a feeling mine are both hormone and eye strain related? I have been reading alot lately and spending hours and hours on my iphone reading small print. Can anyone relate?

Kel x

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information