Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine diary!

Fluoxetine diary!

Hello everyone. I began taking fluoxetine/prozac 5 days ago for anxiety, and one thing I have found useful is reading others’ accounts of how it’s going, so I thought I would log my experience! I probably haven’t done myself any favours by reading about the side effects, but it’s done now so I figured it might be helpful to others and myself to track my progress, feelings and any side effects.

I am taking 20mg in the morning. My primary symptom of the anxiety was insomnia, so given that insomnia seems to be one of the best-documented initial side effects of fluoxetine, I’m understandably a little concerned! However I keep reading that if you can get through the first 2-4 weeks, things will settle down, so here’s hoping

One thing that’s really going to be the deciding factor of whether I continue with this or not is how it affects my physical energy. I am a competitive weightlifter, and the primary reason I decided to try medication is because the lack of sleep was seriously affecting my strength and energy. I was feeling exhausted, weak and jelly-like, and found myself physically incapable of lifting weights that I’ve done a million times before. This in turn was making me depressed as I love my sport and I love to train, and struggling with it has really been getting me down. Therefore I thought if I address the anxiety, the sleep will improve, and my training will return to normal - or at least, that’s the plan!

So here goes…

Days 1-4
    Not much to report. I slept ok (though I did not feel well rested even after that) and had minor headaches, but other than that I felt much the same as normal, if a little calmer. I'm not sure if this calmness is just a placebo effect or a coincidence, but either way, the anxious feelings are a little duller.

Day 5
    This is really the first day that I’ve ‘felt’ it. Last night’s sleep was terrible! I think I got maybe 4.5-5 hours, and with that added to my accumulated sleep deprivation of the past months I can confirm that today I feel really shitty. I have jelly limbs, head fog and am struggling to stay awake (although even if I could go to bed right now I have no idea if I could actually fall asleep anyway).
    However, it was a completely different insomnia from the one I’ve been suffering from. Before, it was a thumping heart and a feeling of being ‘wired’ and stressed that was keeping me awake – it was very obvious what the problem was, and when I was awake in the night, I was pretty wide awake and very stressed. This time, I really struggled to sleep even though I felt EXHAUSTED. I was warm, comfy, sleepy and didn’t feel stressed, didn’t have a thumpy heart (I don’t think), but I just couldn’t actually cross over into unconsciousness. It’s like there was an invisible wall between me and sleep. What’s interesting is that several years ago I went on a very low carb diet, and I had exactly the same type of insomnia – no matter how tired I was I couldn’t cross over into unconsciousness.

So anyway, today I’m quite unhappy! My limbs feel pretty jelly-ish, but I’ve become quite used to that over the past months due to the insomnia. I was supposed to train this evening but I think it's safe to say that won't be happening. I feel incredibly weak and tired.

I would be very interested if anyone else who competes in or plays sports has any experience with fluoxetine... so far in my reading I haven't found anyone who is in the same situation!

Re: Fluoxetine diary!

Day 6
    Well I slept not too badly last night, probably due to the 30mg temazepam I took before bed. Probably 11pm - 5am, then dozed off and on until 7.30am. I still feel completely unrested though, I feel like I could sleep right now. I feel SO TIRED.
    Yesterday I got worse over the course of the day and became quite tearful. I managed to nap for an hour after work and felt much better after that.

I've decided to make a deal with myself. This weird depression I'm suddenly feeling is definitely induced by the fluoxetine as I haven't been depressed, just anxious. So I'm choosing to IGNORE it, or rather to try my hardest to not give in to it and not let it drag me down. It can be hard but I'm mostly managing to catch myself before I get too far into that hole. Today I feel less depressed (hooray!) but much sleepier. The tiredness really is intense, I'm struggling with work and interacting with people, keep forgetting what I'm going to say.

Other observations: I feel thirstier than normal, I had a VERY upset stomach yesterday (after eating foods that I eat all the time - TMI but major diarrhoea), and my appetite is diminished. This is notable because I have always had a big appetite. I feel physically hungry no less than normal, but my actual desire to eat has gone. I've mostly been living on porridge as the thought of most other foods is turning my stomach.

I've also decided to move my fluoxetine to night time, as I wonder if part of the reason I felt so wretched yesterday was because I took it in the morning...
    Last edited by LizzieEC; 15-08-17 at 10:34.

Day 7

I slept terribly last night. I decided not to take Temazepam and see how I got on without it, and the answer was not good. It took ages for me to drift off and I woke up constantly... I think I spent most of the night at least half-awake, like I was dozing but didn't get into deep sleep at all.

However... I feel much happier today. It's weird. I'm extremely sleepy, but I feel physically a little more energetic and in a much better frame of mind. My appetite seems to be better. Not quite back to normal (which is substantial!) but better. The upset stomach has stopped which is good because it was BAD yesterday. I think I barely absorbed anything I ate.

I trained last night and it went a little better than expected. I still struggled with low energy so I couldn't do everything I was supposed to do, but it wasn't a complete disaster, which is what I had expected. I'm going again tonight so hoping for the best! I'm actually really looking forward to it so I hope it goes well because I could really do with the confidence boost, as I'm starting to question my ability to continue.

Day 8

I had the worst night's sleep yet last night. I know that this is at least in part due to the fact that I trained late, which always amps me up, and I may have fuelled it with a Monster

Oddly though, even though I'm probably more sleep-deprived than I've been in ages (and I've been sleep-deprived for a loooong time) I've felt oddly happy today. Yesterday too. Is it the meds? Placebo? No idea. I don't really care either. I just wish I could sleep because I feel like if I could I would actually feel GOOD.

My training last night went really quite well. Intellectually, I feel like I'm on so little sleep everything should feel AWFUL, but for whatever reason at the moment it kind of doesn't... Hopefully it will last! I couldn't deal with more lowness, it just became too much.

Hi Lizzie!

Just wanted to come here and cheer you on! These early days can be pretty hard, but it sounds like you're getting on ok so far. I too am on fluox, I'm at Day 61.. it's definitely been a journey so far. To be honest sometimes I still don't feel like I've improved any but my family says otherwise! It's just such a slow gradual process that you may not notice any differences at first, everyone else will haha

So I'm in week 9.. everyone says that the improvements start happening between week 8 and 12, then accelerates after that. Some people are fully recovered after week 7, some people not for 6 months. It's just a waiting game, I'm afraid! You'll get there though!

Quote Originally Posted by ElleEm View Post
    Hi Lizzie!

Just wanted to come here and cheer you on! These early days can be pretty hard, but it sounds like you're getting on ok so far. I too am on fluox, I'm at Day 61.. it's definitely been a journey so far. To be honest sometimes I still don't feel like I've improved any but my family says otherwise! It's just such a slow gradual process that you may not notice any differences at first, everyone else will haha

So I'm in week 9.. everyone says that the improvements start happening between week 8 and 12, then accelerates after that. Some people are fully recovered after week 7, some people not for 6 months. It's just a waiting game, I'm afraid! You'll get there though!
    Thanks so much ElleEm for the encouragement! It is much needed and much appreciated

It certainly does seem to be a process from what I’ve read here and elsewhere… I may as well accept that I will have to be in it for the long haul!

I'm glad you're getting results - even if you don't always feel it the fact that your family is saying otherwise is massively encouraging! Well done for staying the course Can I ask, did you have problems sleeping when you started taking it? If so how long did they take to resolve? That’s the thing that’s really killing me! I’m so tired…

Hi, hang in there.

It took 3 months for this med to work for me, I've tried quite a few anti depressants and for me fluoxetine has been the best by far, life saving.

I too suffer from insomnia, the fluoxetine hasn't made it worse for me, it's still the same.

Start up symptoms are so yuk but worth it if you battle through and the med suits and works.

Quote Originally Posted by CJN View Post
    Hi, hang in there.

It took 3 months for this med to work for me, I've tried quite a few anti depressants and for me fluoxetine has been the best by far, life saving.

I too suffer from insomnia, the fluoxetine hasn't made it worse for me, it's still the same.

Start up symptoms are so yuk but worth it if you battle through and the med suits and works.
    Thanks CJN I guess 3 months isn't so bad in the grand scheme! Have you managed to do anything about your insomnia? Insomnia is the main reason I'm on fluoxetine since it was caused by anxiety, but it's so much worse just now! I'm definitely going to stick with it for now, and try to have faith that it will settle down and at some point I will be able to sleep

I'm sorry to say no, I have always had problems with insomnia. Mirtazapine was great for sleep however it didn't agree with me in other ways. I take Zopiclone and herbal sleep aids, I don't have caffeine or alcohol. I've tried hypnotherapy. For me personally I think it's a life long issue.
    The fluoxetine helped massively with my depression and anxiety, if it's your anxiety that caused the insomnia then fingers crossed it will ease when the med starts working

Will be following your thread! I really love fluoxetine. I'm not on it at the moment and I remember the first 9 days being very cloudy and sleepy, but when I woke up on day 10 I could feel it lifting and it did every day until around day 14 I had no side effects! My anxiety was still there and my mood was low, but not as bad. It took another two weeks or so to feel the full effects. Day ten was definitely a milestone for me. Hang in there! You'll feel amazing soon. Xx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information