Thread: Anyone used prozac for health anxiety?

Anyone used prozac for health anxiety?

I've used prozac in the past when I had depressive episodes which were secondary to my anxiety. It lifted my depression and the anxiety improved too I think but it was years ago. I have general anxiety and health anxiety which is a life long problem for me. I am having counselling but am wondering if starting back on prozac would take the edge off the anxiety? It's more anxious thinking than actual panic attacks. I tried Sertraline in the Sumner but after nearly six weeks the side effects were still horrible and no benefit. I had panic attacks all day long on that.

Re: Anyone used prozac for health anxiety?

Prozac would likely help you to some degree, it does have the effect of reducing anxiety.

Are you doing anything else to help with the anxiety? Exercise, therapy, Mindfulness meditation and general healthy living can each make a huge positive impact on anxiety levels.

Thanks for the reply. I'm seeing a counsellor every week and I do relaxation exercises every day. I'm also reading lots of self help stuff and trying to apply it but it's an uphill struggle as I've been this way on and off my whole life and I am now 40. I feel like for a lot of people, they are wanting to return to a life before they suffered from anxiety, but for me that life never really existed so I feel like I'm trying to reprogramme my brain from scratch after all these years.

I've just been prescribed Prozac, and my major problem is health anxiety. It's way too early to know if it will help, but I'm hoping that it will reduce my overall anxiety enough that I get fewer physical anxiety symptoms (which increases my health anxiety). I'm also seeing a new therapist on a weekly basis until I can get my thoughts better under control.

Quote Originally Posted by cattia View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm seeing a counsellor every week and I do relaxation exercises every day. I'm also reading lots of self help stuff and trying to apply it but it's an uphill struggle as I've been this way on and off my whole life and I am now 40. I feel like for a lot of people, they are wanting to return to a life before they suffered from anxiety, but for me that life never really existed so I feel like I'm trying to reprogramme my brain from scratch after all these years.
    I'm in a somewhat similar position to you, dealing with anxiety and depression I've had since I was about 10 years old. It is difficult to to change when you have no idea what 'normal' is, but I've made some great progress and I'm sure you will too. What it takes more than anything else is hard work and perseverance.

Have you ever tried Citalopram? It's probably more effective for anxiety than Prozac and is the SSRI of choice at the moment. Plus, you won't have to wait as long as for Fluoxetine to see if it works for you.

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I did a few days on citalopram but I hated the side effects so I came off it almost straight away. With prozac I had side effects too but they wore off. With Sertraline they just got worse! It's good to hear that you've made progress Oak tree even after living for all these years with HA.

Thread Information