Thread: Mirtazapine & Trcyclics anyone please?

Mirtazapine & Trcyclics anyone please?

I am back on 45mg Mirtazapine after a nightmare trial of Citalapram.
    I have severe panic most of the day and have negative thoughts all the time, they get stuck in my head and won't go away.

My doctor has suggested taking a Tricyclic with my Mirtazapine, anyone had any success with this?

He said maybee, Trazadone or Amitryptaline.

BobbyDog

Re: Mirtazapine & Trcyclics anyone please?

Hi I was on this combo for a while: dothiepin 175mg and mirtazapine 30mg and lithium as well. I would not have come off the dothiepin as I had been taking it for sixteen years. The mirtazpine was used as an 'add on' to augment the lithium and the dothiepin. I had been on dothiepin a long time and my psych did not know whether I was still benefitting from it. NICE guidelines are to take patients off it because of its toxicity in overdose. I tried duloxetine for a while. I came off dothiepin about four years ago. I am now on mirtazapine 45mg and lithium 1,000mg. Tri-cyclics are still used when there is an intolerance to ssris/snris or when they do not work. I hope the combo works for you. Do not feel worried about going on it. EJ.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyDog View Post
    I am back on 45mg Mirtazapine after a nightmare trial of Citalapram.
    I have severe panic most of the day and have negative thoughts all the time, they get stuck in my head and won't go away.

My doctor has suggested taking a Tricyclic with my Mirtazapine, anyone had any success with this?

He said maybee, Trazadone or Amitryptaline.
    Hi

Sorry you are going through a bad time with meds? May I ask was is your GP or psychiatrist who thought of this combo - am assuming the latter.

I have just been diagnosed with Pure OCD - was on Prozac for 15 years and worked so well and stopped the thoughts, however they stopped working last year, long story. However after being on the med merry go round by my GP - had a consultation last week with a psychiatrist who said I had the above and was prescribing me Citalopram! I was surprised my this and only day 3 into it - it said I would probably have to go high and he was going to prescribe a small dose of Olanzapine, if necessary, but I already take lorazepam. Tbh I cannot feel any worse to how I have been - life has been hell since Novemeber!

I am sure whoever suggested knows their stuff - you can pm me if you wish.

Dothiepin is another tri-cyclic. I thought that it was fairly common for psychiatrists to prescribe a 'combo' either when other meds have failed or to boost existing meds? It certainly helped me at the time to have something else to take with the dothiepin. Best wishes. EJ

Hi EJ - is a psychiatrist or a GP doing this?

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

I would run a mile if it was my GP!

My consultant psychiatrist prescribes all my meds. He seems to take calculated risks. If I were to become ill again he would 'add in' an anti psychotic or pregabalin. I don't think that we should be afraid of a consultant taking control of the meds. I certainly trust mine. EJ

Thread Information