Thread: Propranolol effectiveness?

Propranolol effectiveness?

I was prescribed Propranolol to calm my heart when I see doctors or whatever. My heart rate can get up to 130 if I'm terrified enough, which terrifies me more and makes it pretty tough to ever see a doctor.

Is this an effective medication for this purpose? I know its a pretty common prescription for anxiety, and I'm hoping it really helps, but I don't wanna test it by going to the doctors.

Re: Propranolol effectiveness?

I guess it depends on the dose you have been given? I take diazepam to get me through hospital appointments.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It works by stopping too much adrenaline so lowering your heartrate down, and obviously the higher the dose the quieter your heart becomes. I took it every day for 8 years as a treatment for high BP, and started at 80mg reducing to 40 in the last year of taking it. But it works fine taking it just as you need it. It does what its supposed to do basically. It's not a mind altering drug either like some others can be.

ISB ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    Is this an effective medication for this purpose? I know its a pretty common prescription for anxiety,
    Yes, it is commonly prescribed for anxiety, but it is primarily a heart medication used in the past to treat arrhythmias and control blood pressure, etc. It seems to have fallen out of favour for these indications in recent years, but it should work well for your purpose.

As an anxiety med it doesn't actually do much for anxiety as such, just eases the symptoms of the flight-or-fight response by blocking adrenaline/epinephrine receptors.

Did you try propranolol? If so, did it work for you? I was taking the maximum dose for around two years but found it didn't help my anxiety or migraine as it prescribed as preventative for migraines too.

Thread Information