Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Painfull Throat Cramp

Re: Very Painfull Throat Cramp

I hate when I yawn too wide and my throat cramps up : ( usually I freak out a wee bit but it goes away very fast.
    I'm really careful not to yawn too wide or too strong as it's happened a lot in the past and it's painful and a kind of scary.

Hi Mandi...I also have the same problem...did you able to find the reason

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MandySlade View Post
    The first time this happened to me I was 18. I'm 30 now and it will still happen on occasion. Sometimes I'll go 2 months without it.. sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times in a week. It's usually when I'm sitting/laying with my head in a funny position and I laugh or yawn at the same time. I get this sudden sharp pain and it hurts incredibly bad to swallow. Things just don't feel "right" in my throat. It feels almost exactly like a charlie horse in your leg, only it's in my throat/neck, always in the front and slightly to one side. I try to swallow but it hurts really bad. Sometimes if I press on it I can feel it kind of "pop" and then the pain goes away. Sometimes if force myself to swallow really hard the same "pop" will happen and the pain goes away. These events typically last from 20 seconds to (the longest being) a full 5 minutes. Most commonly though, it lasts about 1-2 minutes. I guess if it's been happening for 12 years I'm probably fine... but every once in awhile (like now) it'll scare the shit out of me. If they happen a couple times in one week (like this week) I start getting stressed about it. I start thinking (like we all do) what if it's a symptom of something huge and I've just been shrugging it off?

Anyone else ever get these? Any idea what it could be? Just a fluke? Possibly something serious?

Hi Mandi...I also have the same problem...did you able to find the reason

I have this similar pull inside throat fot last 10 years but onlyonce every 6 months or so.but its even more terrible.it may last for hours.if i swallow my saliva or do anything within 15 mins it revives for another 15 mins or so.and i feel its not only bcoz of uncomfortable position of neck but also bcoz of acidity..and those 30 or 60 mins are nightmare..cant speak eat or swallow..and terrible pain.what is it?

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

I have this feeling that it happens mostly to all of us lying down,but it has something to do with acidity or air not passing properly ithrogh the throat.anyone agrees?

I have been having this Charlie horse feeling in my throat on and off for over 15 years. It starts after I eat a meal and as soon as I drink anything it starts to build into this pain. The more I swallow even saliva it would get worse. It takes hours for it to calm down and then I worry about it always coming back. No doctor can find a reason why this happens other than anxiety. Which now I do have since nobody can tell me what causes these attacks. Did anybody ever find a solution why this happens?

I am so glad to have found this post, I have looked for symptoms similar to this and never found exactly what I was experiencing until now.

For anyone else that is having this problem, I have worked out that mine only comes on when I am dehydrated. It might not fix everyones problem but when ever I am feeling a bout of these neck cramps coming on I hydrate as quickly as possible and I can usually avoid it.

I've had this since I was a little kid and have recently found a solution to it that solves it almost immediately every time. I used to swallow forcefully until my throat 'popped' back in place, but that was a very painful experience. Now when it happens I simply bend my head (only my head) forward as far as it goes, so my chin almost touches my throat and then I swallow. It's always gone after that, most of the time even before I swallow.

I hope I can help someone else with this, cause it made that part of my life a lot easier.

Greetings and good luck all

Hi! I'd like to begin by stating that there is an actual medical term for this, though for the life of me I cannot remember. What is happening is that you are actually experiencing a Charley horse in one of the long muscles in your neck. I first started having these at about 20 years old, and have clocked numerous emergency room visits in which none of the doctors had answers for me, but would fill me full of muscle relaxers and pain meds until sometimes up to two days, it would finally relax. Mine would also come on whilst yawning and turning my neck. In twenty years, I have finally figured out how to make them go away within minutes and I assure you that there is nothing wrong with you, it is simply a painful Charley horse in an unusual place. To make it go away, Extend your neck against the pain as far as you can (this is really painful for a few seconds) Use your fingers to locate the knotted muscle and push it back over your esophagus. Also, if you can get a prescription for Xanax, take one at the onset and then do the technique I just told you. This will stretch out the spasm and the muscle will go back to where it is supposed to be. Let me know how this works for you, and relax in knowing that you are certainly not the only one.

Question Re: Very Painfull Throat Cramp

This has happened to me my entire life, primarily when I yawn too big or while laying down in bed. NOTHING works for me except for popping the muscle back into place by repeating the exact same action that made it get stuck. Last night for the first time, it popped out, popped back into place, and then popped back out again and wouldn't go back into place for hours. The sensation is similar to trying to swallow a tennis ball on one side of my throat, and the pain tends to get so severe that it feels like there are knives in my brain. On a pain scale 7/10 with 10 being the worst pain I've experienced. Has anyone had any success seeing chiropractors or some kind of massage therapist for this? it's been tolerably infrequent up until now. After taking a bunch of ibuprofen and falling asleep at about 9 pm, I finally woke up at three am in relative comfort. Tonight though, it feels sore and almost like its waiting to fall back out of place. It does feel good to know I'm not alone in feeling this way!

I have the same symptom on the left side of my throat for several years. But last time it last for two months. Not cramp, but pain. I did CT of throat, MR, visited several EMN doctors. Tomorrow I am going to visit neurologyst. I tried the same as all of you find helpfull drinking a water with neck above, streching head. Panic attack is horrible. I can not believe that doctors never heard for this. My conclusion is this problem is for chiropractic. I take magnesium for two months. I am.a little bit better. But it still hurts. I think last spasm damaged one of my nerve. Did anyone find solution.for this?
    Last edited by Nadja; 31-01-17 at 21:56.

Hello everyone, I came upon this post looking up my symptoms, Mandieslade, description is exactly how it feels and when I tell people about it, they look at me like I'm crazy, Has anyone ever found out what this is and why? I only get it occasionally and sometimes for weeks at a time or once every 6 months maybe stress related?, When I do get it, its so painfull at times I want to cry, I can't swallow and I get relief only when I can somehow get what feels like maybe my muscle or a big vain to "pop back in place. The longest I've had it last was maybe 20 minutes and at that point I was ready to go to the hospital, but we were camping and finally it "popped". Most of the time it only last a couple of minutes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information