Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oops i woke up grinding me teeth/ jaw/headache etc

oops i woke up grinding me teeth/ jaw/headache etc

HI
    I HAVE BEEN HAVING UNBEARABLE FACE/NECK ACHE AND AWFUL EARACHE, I KEEP TELLING MYSELF THIS IS JUST ANXIETY, BUT COULD IT BE THAT BECAUSE OF THE ADRENALIN/HEAD RUSHES THAT IT HAS DAMAGED THE NERVES IN MY FACE/EARS ETC? WENT TO THE DOCS NO EAR INFECTION, BUT THE PAINS ARE REALLY STRONG IM FINDING THESE ONES HARD TO COPE WITH. I CANT BELIEVE THAT THIS IS JUST ANXIETY:([b]

we are all stronger people after having this

i used to get a lot of aches, my mum used to call me face ache! id be in bed whining aout my face throbbing and feeling tight and my neck stiff and aching unbelievably. I found relaxation helped and when i applied my moisteriser to my face i did it gently and massagingly like. It helped a little. it went within time though.
    Becci x

thanks for that i find the more i dont like it and let it take over the worse it is, just dont know how to cope with it,
    julie

I dont really know what to suggest as to how to cope, cos its one symptom that really is awful, i used to explain it to mum as if id just been hit in the face with a frying pan! its awful. another thing that helped though, was muscle exercises on your face! stand in the mirror and pull silly faces! sad,happy,angry etc! it releases the tension
    Becci x

thanks becci
    its a lot better today, the more stressed i get the worse it is, ive been quite calm today(another day tomm) lol

Hi Juju,

IMO it is most unlikely that you have damaged any nerves in your face or neck as the result of an adrenaline surge. What is probably happening is that the muscles of your face/neck are in near constant state of tension as the result of anxiety and what you are feeling is large scale muscle/nerve fatigue.

Relaxation techniques should help and you might find that by gently warming your face and as Becci says applying moisturiser and massaging the muscles will relax. Do you wake up in the morning with the pain?

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
    www.alphadynamics.com

hiya
    i too got alot of unbearable face/neck out. it was worse for me in my jaw area.
    at the time i thought mine was nueralgia and told my dentist on my last check up. he reffered me to my local maxiofacial unit at our local hospital.
    i've been seeing them for about 6 months now. they've checked me really well to make sure my teeth were ok, my jaw was alined no spots etc that shouldn't be there.
    i must say since i've been seeing them the pain and aching has near enough gone, which leads me to believe it was caused by my anxiety.
    i think because i've been seeing the professionals and now no its nothing un to ward the anxiety has lessened over this issue anyway.

what a funny thing our minds are...

all the best to u

pp

thanks so much for the advice, i too thought it was my jaw then it would jump to my teeth and head and so on, the pains are so strong the only thing that was taking the edge off was co-codramol, it made me feel really ill for a couple of days, its weird what your mind can create isnt it?
    i dont wake up with it in the morning, it will start when i feel anxious but mostly just the adrenalin in my ears which im getting used to -lol
    julie

hi when my anxiety first started i used to suffer terrible tension headaches....i used to clench my jaw all the time and frown constantley due to tension...this left me with pains in my ears..really bad shooting pains at times, until i went to see a neurologist because of my headaches and he explained it was all tension causing my painful ears...you must be clenching your jaw without knowing it, cos this is what i was doing...anxiety makes us hold our bodies in certain ways resulting in tense muscles...i also used to get head rushes and it is all connected...you need to relax more...once i accepted these symptoms as part of anxiety they disappeared..........until the next thing came along!!!!!!

thanks whenwillthisend,
    i actually woke up grinding my teeth, and frowning.
    when im relaxed it doesnt happen
    juju

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information