Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low blood pressure

Question Low blood pressure

For the last couple of days i've felt crap. Headaches and extreme tiredness. I've also had off and on dizziness and none of these symptoms are those of which I personally have with anxiety. On the way home i got my husband to purchase me a bp checker. When i did it, it came out as 90/55 which i assume IS pretty low. Since then its varied between 86/44 and 97/65.

I am pretty worried really. If anything i would think i'd have high bp as that runs in the family.

Any ideas?

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Re: Low blood pressure

Have you been drinking enough? All those things you describe - headache, dizziness and low bp can be caused by dehydration. Doesn't have to be water, juice or fruit tea will work too, but avoid alcohol, tea or coffee, they will make it worse.

I would suggest a visit to the GP.
    Anything below 90/60 should be looked into.
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I have low BP too, I've checked mine quite a few times this morning after reading these posts as it worried me and it's been 89/49, 89/60, 86/57, 104/70, 94/62, 86/62, 91/62 and 100/60.

However whenever I go to the Dr's and tell them how low my home readings are they just take my BP in the surgery and tell me it's 'normal'. When I have questioned their diagnosis I've been told that as I am short and slim my BP would be low, although I'm not sure if that's right or not.

I know some of these home BP monitors are not very accurate, especially the wrist ones, which is what I have. I think I'm going to buy myself a better one and see if gives a more normal reading.

Hi guys, well i know that it is totally true about being scared of one thing and then being scared of something else, but ALWAYS being scared of something. Well my heart has been my main focus for a while and my therapist wants me to concentrate on exercising and raising my bp and then not noticing it and NOT checking it, well all well and good NOW. Because, these past two days i have not been concentrating on my pulse at all, it is now my BP!!
    I have been checking each day, as i do, and my pulse has been in the 100's and i haven't been bothered by it, that is a grand achievement for me really, but now i am too scared that my bp is too low. The lowest systolic reading has been 97 and the lowest diastolic reading has been 54.
    I took it today as i just came in from the car and sat down and it was 100/55. Of course i got extremely worried and took it again and it was 101/60, which was of course better but the worry was still there. I have just done a gig and i could feel my heart bashing away, but all i was concerned about was if i was going to pass out incase my bp was low. I can understand it being lower at night, when you've sat in the chair, slobbing out at the tv and nice and chilled, if we're lucky that is. But not in the day when you've only just sat down and stuff. My bp is normally ok, although i must say at times it does go a bit high, but i understand that too. It is normally higher when i first get out of bed in the morning, fear and stress i guess. Then when i've come downstairs and had my breakfast and sat a bit and had a fag, lol, then it normally comes down, but then of course my pulse is high as i've just eaten. I do see clients in the surgery whose bp is lower than mine and they are fine, perhaps slim and young and fit, ok then. But i am overweight and a smoker and my mum, dad and aunty have commenced on medication for slightly high bp in the last two years. I also now that if someone has M.E, or yuppy flu as it used to be called, then their bp can be very low, i have nursed someone with a diastolic of 46. But for a while now my systolic is just over 100 and my diastolics are in the 60's. It just really freaks me out a lot when the reading's go lower than that. Any advice please? And lots of reassurance would be greatly appreciated too!xx

Mine is 91/49 dunno what to think

Just be glad you have blood pressure

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The dialostics where 49 my blood pressure was 79 which is good

I work in a hospital, and when doctors write orders their peramaters are generally anything systolic blood pressure under 90 is of some concern. That being said, I often take care of people who's bps are about 85/40, and while that is low, the most we do for them at this point is give them IV fluids, which is basically the equivalent to drinking a few Gatorade's, and some water, I would suggest drinking a bit more. Good luck!

Hi Belle

To my knowledge anything less than 90/60 is considered to be 'low blood pressure'. SOme of your measures have been quite below this so it's always a good idea to get it checked out. Low blood pressure can caause dizziness weakness and fatigue which we all know can get exhausting! LBP can be caused by many things - hence the importance in getting checked out by a GP. However the most common reasons for LBP is dehydration. It'd be a good idea to try and drink some extra fluids and see if that makes a difference As Danii suggested - try increase the amount of water you're drinking and maybe have a gatorade or two during the day to get some more electrolytes circulating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information