Thread: Issues with changing brands of Citalopram

Issues with changing brands of Citalopram

Hi

I have been on Citalopram for a month now and suffered the initial side effects (headaches, nausea and tiredness). I had just about go over them when the chemist gave me a different brand of Citalopram. I have been taking these for 3 days and feel awful again and also feel really down again. Just like I did at the start of the first month. I have looked at the ingredients and whilst they both have the main drug, some other ingredients are different.

I am hoping that I will get over this quickly and was then thinking about asking my doctor to insist that the chemist give me the same brand, but i am guessing that chemists buy which ever is cheaper that month.

Has anybody else suffered similar issues??

Thanks
    Sarah

Re: Issues with changing brands of Citalopram

Hi Sarah

I took Citalopram for 10 years on and off ,different brands too. Never realised if they had different ingredients in them. But then again i never had any side effects after starting the new brands.

It maybe a good idea to have a word with your Pharmasist and see what he as to say about it.

sorry i wasnt much help hun.

love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Hi Andrea

Thanks for your reply. If you changed brands a number of times and didn't have issues then maybe is just an early days thing.

Could I ask another question, did you find you were terribly forgetful whilst on the meds? I think it's possible that the depression has made me forgetful as it's made me very tired and that compounds it. I have also been working right through it all this time, where as when I had it before I took 6 weeks off work and didn't have to think about things too much. I also had different meds last time (fluoxetine). Can't wait for Christmas so that I can take some time off!

Thanks again for your help

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I cant say the meds made me forgetful, it was more the anxiety that made me forget things . As you are in the early stages of the meds its probably the anxiety thats making you like that . I know with Citalopram it can take a good 4 to 6 weeks before you start to feel any benifits.
    I havent taken this med now since last christmas but i have to say now this Christmas is getting nearer i can feel my anxiety creeping up on me again with trying to sort out pressies etc. I always find chrsitmas a hard time, and only yesterday i had asked my daughter the same question 3 times !!! Thats anxiety for you...lol.

I wish you good luck Sarah with the meds, i do hope they help you as much as they did me .

Love

Andrea
    xxxxxx

Thread Information