Did anyone else catch the interview on Jeremy Vine BBC Radio 2 with Mark Rice-Oxley? Mark has written a book called Underneath the Lemon Tree; A Memoir of Depression and Recovery, and although I've not read it yet myself, from the radio interview it discusses how the pressures of parenthood and being a breadwinner can lead a bloke to depression.

The symptoms that Mark described, along with several of the men who 'phoned in, mirrored my own down to the letter and as with all these things it's always comforting to hear your own symptoms described by other people.

They did read out one email, from a lady in her 70's I believe, who said something along the lines of "What a complete load of nonsense; in my day there was never anything like this and people just got on with it". I must admit I couldn't think of a response to that. How did people cope with anxiety and depression when talkiing about your feelings was frowned upon, the 'stiff upper lip' prevailed, and there was no talking therapy or medication?

I've checked on Jeremy's website but unfortunately that particular interview is not available on the BBC iplayer, although the book itself is available from online bookstores.