Thread: General question about fluoxetine side effects

General question about fluoxetine side effects

Hi,

am I dense, or have other people found the leaflet really confusing?

It seems to me that the same side effects listed as 'very common' and likely to wear off are also listed in the SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY! section.

Mine is itching. Which is, according to which list I'm reading, either very common and harmless, or a SIGN OF A SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION!

As I've had it a little while I'm guessing it's the former!

Seriously, am I stupid or have other people thought this too?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: General question about fluoxetine side effects

Itching along with other symptoms, such as swelling of the tongue/throat etc, should prompt you to see GP. But on its own I don't think you should be too concerned, unless it gets dramatically worse or doesn't subside in a few weeks' time.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Yes, it is confusing and I'm afraid you will likely see it on many meds. I know I've looked at plenty of antidepressants to see the same.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/fluoxetine-side-effects.html

If you look at that is does the same. On the general page it warns of allergic reactions and worsening symptoms. But worsening symptoms are just part of "it gets worse before it gets better" on these meds so it's more a disclaimer to avoid legal action. The same can be said for the side effects page linked above since it says speak to a GP immediately if you increase these symptoms which include...anxiety! Or even a headache!

So, would you start a med and rush to a doctor when you also had a headache? Of course not.

The way I've always looked at this is you compare the "see GP immediately" against the "these usually go away" ones and if they are there I would consider them normal. Obviously there is the issue of intensity and if something is bad, there is no harm being cautious.

I treat the allergic ones differently. These may need someone to assess them but if it's some minor itching, which is also a listed side effect, I think it differs to the kind of itching a major allergic reaction would present as. And even an allergic reaction can be very minor so it's not a given a doctor will remove the med if it may cease shortly but obviously they are monitoring you at that point.

I regard the ones to contact a GP more like a speak to them when you next go kind of list. It's one to let them decide on but many on these lists are just common things you can experience and a GP will not be concerned about them.

It all comes down to why drugs companies list them like this and it's not for us, it's the save their bums from court.

Good points. I'm sure I will be fine!

Hi! Was just wondering how you are doing on the prozac? I am on day 3 and remaining hopeful as this is really my last chance!! Thanks so much!

Hiya, I'm doing well now thank you. I think it has made my arthritis a bit more achey but I am definitely coping much better. So much so that I can't remember quite how it felt a few weeks ago. I am a bit more sleepy when I wake than I used to be, but my sleep is gradually improving.

Can't believe how so low a dose has had such a positive effect.

How are you doing?

I’m on my 2nd week and up to 20 mg. My anxiety has definitely subsided and (knock on wood) I haven’t had many side effects with the exception of one night of insomnia. Hoping for the best but feeling better already? What dosage are you on?

I'm only on 10mg. Last time I was on 20mg but I was in a very bad place before I went onto it. I wasn't sure 10mg would do anything but it has.

I do notice that I'm feeling that Prozac tiredness more than I did lasttime (unlessI've forgotten, of course). I don't feel quite 'me' but on the other hand I don't feel terribly anxious, Last time I felt as though a few months of Prozac 'reset' me and I was fine for quite a long time. A couple of years or more.

Sorry to jump on the band wagon, but I was wondering if it worth trying 30mg for a while or should I jump straight to 40 mg from 20 mg?

I had side effects on 20mg (nausea, headaches, increase in anxiety) during weeks 2 and 3, but they were manageable.

I can't answer that but your doctor will have an idea.

Thread Information