Thread: Weekend Anxiety

Weekend Anxiety

Does anyone feel that their anxiety is worse at the weekend?

I feel at the weekend my anxiety feels more real. Its not that the symptoms are any different from during the week but I notice them more and obviously think about them a lot more.

I know the secret is to keep a lot more busy during this time but I just really look forward to the weekends but on a saturday morning the panic strikes and the worrying starts.

I had a bad dream last night and woke up with a racing and slightly irregular heart beat and from this point I have been worrying about my heart... is it ok? should I call the doctor?

I have had these symptoms before many times and I am still here to tell the tale but I just cant stop the worrying.

I also hate being alone and mu husband isnt always around 24/7 at the weekend. This fills me with dread and I know I already worry before the weekend begins... what if soemthing happens when I am alone? I hate how I feel... I feel so useless.

Does anyone else feel like this?

sadie

Hey Sadie,

I do feel worse at weekends too, mainly because i feel that there is more pressure around. Like taking kids out etc.. , plus i always worry that weekends are always busier out too.

The best thing is to keep busy when you are alone, even if its just music or dvd's.

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

I wonder if it's because at the weekend there is no routine as such, so we've nothing to hide behind!!

Also don't worry about waking in the night with the racing heart - I had a little spell of this about 4/5 weeks ago but like all the other symptoms it passes and wasn't worth worrying about.

If you are on your own for bits over the weekend do what Tracy said and try to keep busy even if its only boring old ironing etc at least you can see you've done somethnig productive.

Love Piglet xx

Yes, I have had the very same problem. I think it's because my anxiety tends to be worse in the morning (generally) and on weekdays my husband leaves for work very early and I am occupied getting the kids ready for school. On the weekend, I feel like I have more time to just sit and focus on the anxiety more.

Oh weekends, too much time to think, automatically relax, not the same routinue as the week - not a good combination for us lot!!

Sadie you are not useless, just more vunerable at the moment.

Like everyone else has said, try and keep occupied, maybe read a book, could you arrange to meet a friend for coffee? Anything to distract yourself and banish these negative thoughts away.

Maybe for next weekend if you know your hubby is not going to be around try and arrange something in advance, couple of suggestions above, or window shopping and coffee with a friend, walk, the list could go on, then you would have something positive to look forward to and if you are on your own tomorrow, ring a friend now!

Just a thought!

Wishing you well, try to keep smiling

Elaine XX

hey there

i totally agree that anixety is worse at the weekends. i do spend the week looking forward to having a rest but then it gets to friday evening and i start to get uncomfortable and anxious, much more than the week. i do find that i am ok if i am really busy, but then i put myself in a situation where i take on too much and end up exhausted. this weekend i am trying to chill but i feel so uncomfortable. relaxing is such a hard thing to do!!! i am trying to enjoy the weekend...but i just dont feel comfortable....

oh and last night i woke up with the spider dream (i left a post a month ago after having exactly the same dream) this time though i didnt end up shaking or scared, i was weirdly ready for it. i did keep the light on over night but it did not freak me out so much this time. so i guess that is a positive thing.

vik x

Hi Sadie

I think this is pretty common and often occurs because there is less to keep your mind occupied at the weekend, particularly if you work during the week. It is also a change from normal routine.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I had a bad dream last night and woke up with a racing and slightly irregular heart beat and from this point I have been worrying about my heart... is it ok? should I call the doctor?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I get this all the time and find it is worse if I've had a nightmare. Most nights I wake several times and most of those times I experience this heart rate issue and other anxiety symptoms. If you do some 7/11 breathing it will help to calm you again.

You are not useless Sadie and many people find it harder to manage when the people who are usually there for them are not around for whatever reason.

I agree with a lot of the other suggestions made here. You could make arrangements to meet up with friends or go to visit family. Planning activities for the weekend to keep you busy will help to distract you from these thoughts.

Hope you are feeling better this evening.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies,

Today has just been a bit of a disaster to be honest... had the horrible dream and woke up in apanic and since then my body seems tobe on panic mode...

Went to the cinema with a friend to see Pride and Prejudice and before the film even started I could feel the panic rising. I just wanted to go home there and then, but I didnt and stayed and watched the whole film despite the horrible chest symptoms, sinus pain and funny tastes in my mouth.

Hopefully tommorrow will be a better day!

Thaks again.

sadie

I'm fine on a week my trouble in mostly weekday issue's to me the week end represent's my time with no one comitment's and I like to keep them that way are often as posible. If I have commitment or job' to do the presure rise'e and then the more people i have to deal with the more anxiety I have and then then the cycle start's.

I love party's but on the flip side after a party(which are most on week ends) my anxiety is the worst of all cause i used up all my calm on prepareing my self to deal with the party and the people and the unpredictablity and afterward's i have none left to deal with daily issues that i find hard like not having a neat house or forgeting to pay a bill cause the party side track my thinking process.

Hi Sadie

Hope you are feeling better today, it will soon be Monday chuck.
    I am exactly like you always feel worse at the weekends, which is a bit of a pain as it's the time when we should chill and tqke time out.
    I think as others have posted that we have no structure to the day, therefore we have time for negative thoughts to brew up in our minds.

Take care

Elaine x

Thread Information