Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow pulse or low blood pressure

Slow pulse or low blood pressure

Hi all,

For those who have read most of my posts will know that my symptoms consist of chest pains, palpitations, irregular heart beats....Im sure you get the picture!!

Anyway, over the last few weeks or so I have been experiencing really weird symptoms. I keep feeling like my heart will stop or its beating really slow and when I check my pulse it is beating a lot slower than normal. I feel quite lightheaded/dizzy and slightly nauseous when this happens.

These are new symptoms to me as normally I have a racing heart etc... I thought that these symptoms were related to taking beta blockers which I was prescribed for my migraines but I only took them for a couple of days as I felt really unwell on them. However it is the same symptoms I am getting and I am not on the beta blockers anymore.

What is happening to me now? Do I have a slow pulse or low blood pressure and what is causing this? Should I be worried about this?

Can anyone help?[:0]

sadie

Hi all,

I have never not had a reply to one of my posts so I am now wondering should I not have put this on here for some reason?

sadie

Hiya Sadie

Nope hun, you are fine posting here.

I read your post yesterday and didnt think I had anything useful to tell you. However, now I have read it again today I do remember feeling lik this a while ago (well right at the beginning of my panic).

I too got the rapid beats that made me feel like I was going to explode or have a heart attack - nope im still here tho
    On the flip side of this, there were times (usually in bed I think) that I used to wake up or just be on the verge of dozing off and I would get a terrible sense of dizzyness and depersonalisation. This was accompanied by felling me heartrate slowing down so much that I thought it was going to stop altogether. It was almost like I was going to pass out! - fortunately I havent felt like this for the best part of a year.

Why dont you get yourself one of the home BP measuring machines and give yourself a factual reading. Its really hard to do it yourself with your finger and a stopwatch when you are panicky and convinced its wrong (if you know what I mean?)
    Failing that, go visit your doc and ask him/her to give you a BP check to put your mind at ease?

Take care mate and let me know if this was any use to you.

love Sarah
    xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution

Sadie,

Sorry hon , I've not been as vigilant as usual at seeing all the posts as have been busy finishing a project .

If it's going above 45 bpm you are fine

If you want my opinion , I think you've transferred oyur fears froma racing heart to a slow one thanks to the bb and I might bet that its your perception thats its slow as that was the last fearful memory, when in fact its probabbly chugging away at it's usual rate .

The personal BP machines are a great reassurance but don't get addicted to using it .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

I was wondering you said your symptoms consisted of like a racing heart beat right. Well what if this is a normal heart beat is supposed to be however your so used to the fast pulse you think something is wrong. Just wondering. Also if you want to put your mind at ease just go get your blood pressure done. The doctors wont mind.

Hi all,

I was at my gp today as I am receiving acupuncture for my migraines and I mentioned to him about this slow pulse etc. He said it was nothing to worry about as long as it doesnt go below 50 beats per minute. I had this feeling again today..it only lasts a few minutes then its back to normal. I am just wondering if it is soemthing to worry about though. One minute my heart beats fast then skips a beat then the next minute it is beating slow...is there soemthing wrong with my heart?

The doctor said our heart beats range from 50 -100 beats throughout the day and that this is normal. I think this is just fairly new for me because when my heart does beat slow I am aware of this because i feel a bit dizzy and lightheaded. Surely we should not be aware when our heart beat changes?

He has advised me to get a relaxation cd and try and do proper relaxation each day and eventually my body will relax better.

He never took my blood pressure or anything do you think he should have?

Thanks all for helping.

sadie

Hi,

I think you are so tuned into your heart beat that you will notice when it changes quicker than other people. It is very normal for our heart rate to change continually but it does self regulate .

If it's scaring you then it's likely that you may suddenly alter your breathing which may lead to lightheadedness.

If you were on your feet then you blood pressure will have been high enough. It might have reassured you though.

Relaxation CD's are regularly recommended here because they are beneficial .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Thanks Meg, I will try and not worry too much about this unless I actually faint or something!!

Take care

sadie

Meg,

I know I said I wouldnt worry but I am a panicer and these symptoms are worrying me a little.

I had the symptoms again today at work and I was wondering do you think that the beta blockers might still be in my system and have upset my heart rhythm?

I am just scared I have damamged my heart with all this stress and worry over these last few years. I know that may sound really stupid to some but it does play on my mind. What if it suddenly beats to slow...what will happen then?

Does overbreathing cause a slow beating heart or is this more likely to cause a fast beating heart?

Today when it happened I just went to the loo in work and took some rescue remedy to calm myself down because I could feel my thoughts blowing things way out of proportion!!

I remember a few years ago I guy I worked with took a panic attack in work and his heart slowed down rather than increased...is this another symptom of anxiety or not?

Sorry I know I am going on and on...but I am worrying again!:(

sadie

Hi Sadie

I've had both the racing heart when my anxiety first started but on lots of occasions I've had the slow heart thing. I do take beta blockers now but had it even before. It is really scary and makes you feel horrible. I get afraid that my heart is going to stop beating with it. I think the more you think about it, the worse it gets. Hang in there

Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information