Thread: precautionary blood thinners and CT with contrast

precautionary blood thinners and CT with contrast

So I've had a really bad day today. It started with a phone call from my doctors surgery this morning saying the Dr wanted to see me about blood test results that had come through (had due to chest pains) turns out I have positive elavated d-dimer levels but on examination no signs to DVT or anything else that can course raised d-dimer levels, so after a phone call to the hospital he sent me there. After a lot of waiting around, an ecg and chest X-ray, both clear and an examination and lots of questions they again said that I'm not showing symptoms and my chance of getting DVT or other clotting is close to zero, they desided that I should have clexane 100mg blood thinning injections once a day (which I have to inject myself) while waiting for a CT scan with contrast on my chest which might take up to 5 days to get due to the weekend.
    I'm not happy at all with all of this, I'm not sure and very nervous about having these blood thinning injections when the chances are I don't even need them not to mention the fact that I need to inject them myself which is not easy and scary. I'm feeling very paranoid about not banging my head or anything with the increased risk of hemariging (I've also spent the last 2 months worrying as it is after a minor head injury I had that I might have an undiagnosed bleed after having headaches since) and looking 100mg looks to be quite a high does as most often with confirmed diagnoses of clotting only 40mg or lower is given daily

I also have a fear of CT scans because of the radiation espesh as I already has a chest CT a couple of years ago. I've also been told the contrast dye can do nasty :s
    Apparently slot of things can course false positive d-dimer tests to and apparently don't usually do them unless symptoms are shown, the Dr I saw at the hospital said I've done it backwards.
    I feel like I'm going through all this for no reason. I've been crying alot this evening because of it all and I really want it to be over, I'm really hoping I get the CT app sooner rather than later so then I don't have to inject so much thinners.

I'm also pretty sure my chest pains were only coursed by amitiptylin I was taking for the past week and a half as I stopped then 2 days ago and the chest pain has gone right down. Just wish I didn't take it in the first place now it's coursing all this.
    :(
    Any comforting info?

Re: precautionary blood thinners and CT with contrast

It does seem a bit odd that even when they're telling you the chances of developing a DVT is next to zero, yet are wanting you to take blood thinners If your instinct is telling you not to take them just yet, perhaps act on your instincts and seek further information and medical opinions. I think in the same situation as you, I would seek at least a second opinion.

ISB x

Thread Information