Thread: Starting Prozac 10mg tomorrow

Smile Starting Prozac 10mg tomorrow

Hi there!

I have been reading some of the threads about Prozac and some make me hopeful while others make me more anxious!

I have had a recent surge of pretty bad anxiety, namely health anxiety. After exhausting rounds of tests that have ruled out heart problem, lung issue, etc. I am taking the plunge with some meds. My anxiety has started to result in some depression, OCD type behavior, and social anxiety so I think Prozac may be a good fit for me.

Dr is starting me at 10mg. I know this is a low dose so I am hoping that means the side effects will be a little less? I have Xanax in case of an initial increase in anxiety. Any advice?

I put a call into a therapist to start that as well and have taken some steps to reduce stress in my life which is what I think triggered all this. I know that there have to be multiple approaches to combating anxiety.

Thanks so much!!

Re: Starting Prozac 10mg tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by desertraven View Post
    Dr is starting me at 10mg. I know this is a low dose so I am hoping that means the side effects will be a little less? I have Xanax in case of an initial increase in anxiety.
    Your doctor seems to have done everything right, which, sadly, isn't always the case, so s/he is definitely worth keeping.

Any advice?
    Side-effects are not all down to the direct effects of the med. Psychology can be at least a big as important a factor. Believe you are going to suffer greatly and an anxious mind is quite capable of producing the whole catastrophe for you.

Despite the impression given by Dr Google, and even support forums like this one, most taking antidepressants for the first time don't experience severe side-effects. But if you do, keep reminding yourself that a) side-effects are rarely signs of physical harm, and b) in most cases the end result is usually worth the initial problems.

I put a call into a therapist to start that as well and have taken some steps to reduce stress in my life which is what I think triggered all this. I know that there have to be multiple approaches to combating anxiety.
    You seem to be doing all the right things so have an excellent chance of getting your life back onto an even keel.

Re: Starting Prozac 10mg tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Your doctor seems to have done everything right, which, sadly, isn't always the case, so s/he is definitely worth keeping.

Side-effects are not all down to the direct effects of the med. Psychology can be at least a big as important a factor. Believe you are going to suffer greatly and an anxious mind is quite capable of producing the whole catastrophe for you.

Despite the impression given by Dr Google, and even support forums like this one, most taking antidepressants for the first time don't experience severe side-effects. But if you do, keep reminding yourself that a) side-effects are rarely signs of physical harm, and b) in most cases the end result is usually worth the initial problems.

You seem to be doing all the right things so have an excellent chance of getting your life back onto an even keel.
    Thank you so much for the reply I have several friends on SSRIs and both of them reported minimal side effects which made me feel better. You are right though, it's very individual and has multiple factors.

Thread Information