Thread: How do you cope with chronic anxiety

How do you cope with chronic anxiety

Hi! Curious as to what techniques people use to cope with chronic anxiety. Medication isn't helping, so looking for other ways to cope. Thanks...Tracy

Re: How do you cope with chronic anxiety

That's a big question really because firstly, I'd look at the causes of someone's anxiety to see if it could be tackled at source but simply put, I'd use distraction (doing things you really enjoy that occupy the mind so much that it takes your mind off how you're feeling and worries), and secondly, when it's not possible to use distraction, use a relaxation technique such as deep breathing or yoga etc.

The one thing to avoid at all costs is to sit doing nothing because your mind will just dwell on negative thoughts which will continually fuel your anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    The one thing to avoid at all costs is to sit doing nothing because your mind will just dwell on negative thoughts which will continually fuel your anxiety.
    I second this. Sometimes I can't even distract away from my anxiety, as in I just can't stop thinking about it.. Being at home with nothing to do is the absolute worst. I thoroughly enjoy playing video games and watching movies, but I find myself dwelling on my negative thoughts even whilst doing these things. Being out and about, keeping yourself busy is really the best remedy, atleast for me.

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member

I have a few things I do:

1) 7/11 breathing - getting a handle on your breathing is a sure fire way to prevent an actual panic attack. Always breath from the stomach, not the chest, in for 7 and out for 11
    2) Wrists under the cold tap - this helps cool us down, and calm our heart rate
    3) Distraction is key! - You need to distract your thoughts from the irrational thoughts that are causing your anxiety to spike. I tend to play computer games or watch a movie, or if my anxiety is so bad that I'm pumped with adrenaline and I need to keep moving, I'll go for a walk
    4) Music - Music helps quieten the thoughts and distract my mind. Also good for when out for a walk.
    5) RELAX - I know right? pffft, if it were that easy. But hoenstly, when you're feeling anxious you'll notice your shoulders will be at your ears, just take the time, when doing your breathing to make sure and relax.

hope this helps

For me it's medication, but other methods I've used and I know that other people have used are: exercise, meditation, supplements (herbal, etc.), nutrition, and therapy.

I find staying busy helps. Also, I try not to procrastinate. I'm really big on that. So if I tackle something I don't want to do, and if I just do it, my brain won't sit around and dwell on it. I tried medication and I just don't like it. I am learning how to cope with my anxiety on a daily basis and it does get better. I keep a close watch on my thoughts and if they start to wonder, I just tell yself, not going down that road.

For me distraction and Exercise helps a lot.

if it chronic, then medication, pregabalin at 600mg

Thread Information