Thread: Tips and success stories please :)

Tips and success stories please :)

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum thing but thought i would give it a try!
    My journey started with a bereavement which triggered panic attacks, this turned into panic disorder/ health anxiety - I have thankfully overcome the health anxiety but given the unpredictable nature of panic disorder having numerous panic attacks away from my home has caused agoraphobia over the past few months. I'm not housebound but like to remain within my safe zone around my area, I struggle with going into shops and town, walking out of my safe zone and attending social events.
    I'm trying hard to stick to my exposure therapy but it's so hard to allow yourself to feel panicky!
    I'm desperate to regain my normal life, has anyone got any tips or ways they have overcome or learnt to deal with agoraphobia and maintain an active social life?

thanks
    Last edited by Marie2016; 31-08-16 at 22:46. Reason: Spelling error

Re: Tips and success stories please :)

apart from the usual breathing techniques and progressive muscle relaxation to help you with anxiety the actual beating of agoraphobia can be done with this method:

(this is how i sucessfull got from struggling to walk 200 yards to driving 5 hours and flying 4 hours etc).

make a list of places you want/need to go. anything you can think of. things that seem far too difficult now. things you could do at a push. things you can do reasonably easily.

grade them from 1-10 (or whatever number you want). some of them can be the same level.

starting with one you find fairly easy do it every single day until you're bored senseless of it (and not at all anxious) then move up to the to the next one. the next one should be something that makes you a little nervous but nothing thats gonna give you a panic atack.

keep doing that stage till you can do it easily then move to the next one.

you should aim to try and go up a stage every 1-2 weeks.

sounds almost too simple but it does work. takes some courage and determination but its definitely a solution (not the only one but it worked for me).

good luck!

Thank you I will definately try that.
    I have a huge social event to attend on Saturday so I'll have to call on all the mindful breathing techniques I can think of and hopefully get through it but I think the list making sounds like a great idea for the long term

I agree it sounds dumb but for me i went from not being able to drive more than 30 min away from my house to flying 5 hrs and staying almost 10 days in a hotel by myself in a different state by exposure therapy and repetition. It took me about 4 years though. Id drive a little farther, id stay overnight once an hour away, id drive an hour away, id drive 2 hrs away, id drive 4 hrs away then stay 2 nights, id drive to the airport, id take a 30 min flight, 45 min flight then 2 hr flight ect ect. Baby steps over and over again until your mind sees its ok. Its the only thing that worked for me. If you push too hard too fast youll do the reverse and reinforce that you cant be away. Its alot of hard work, the last 4 years was filled with some terrifying nights and lots of panick filled with me walking the streets at night sweating with my heart pounding but it was also followed by the pride and confidence that i made it. You can do it too.

Thanks all

I'll definately be carrying on with the repetition exposure and at a slower pace - I've done exposure before but rushed into trying everything again and unfortunately had a huge set back after two weeks which was a blow! But since that I've been taking it much slower and have found that it has been sticking this time. It's frustrating doing it slowly as I just want to get back into my old routine but I'd much rather take my time and break free from agoraphobia once and for all!
    I've overcome health anxiety and I'm sure I can overcome this too!

I can't seem to not rush either.

I keep setting myself back by trying to rush through the steps.

It's deeply frustrating because sometimes I could do something easily so i try something harder.. then the harder thing seems ok. Then i try the harder thing again and get in a panic.. then sudddenly the "level" below seems hard again.

Quote Originally Posted by skymaid View Post
    I can't seem to not rush either.

I keep setting myself back by trying to rush through the steps.

It's deeply frustrating because sometimes I could do something easily so i try something harder.. then the harder thing seems ok. Then i try the harder thing again and get in a panic.. then sudddenly the "level" below seems hard again.
    Sounds like your doing it right! I was two steps back 3 steps forward. Its never perfect, and as soon as you think your past it...think again! I fell flat on my face so many times, spent nights with 0 sleep for DAYS in hotels (for work) having panick attacks all night. This is after thinking i was over it. It takes along time, and many many trys before your mind learns its ok, but it eventually does.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

If you read my other posts, i still sometimes have panick attacks about other things..just not so much about traveling (planes, hotels, long drives) anymore because of my ******* bosses forcing me to travel so much. If it wasnt for my job, i would still be stuck in my little town and comfort zone of about 30 min drive from my house.

This is a really positive thread and sounds like a great plan I should get back to. I rushed myself into the next steps so went backwards all the time.

Thread Information