Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion?

A suggestion?

Would it be appropriate or possible to have a dedicated sub-board for people going through tragic circumstances in their life? It's so easy for these posts to get swallowed up in general traffic and attention goes elsewhere..

I think it's really important for people desperately in need of support to receive as much help as possible at such distressing times in their lives.

Re: A suggestion?

I am not sure about this Pulisa. We have loads of sub-forums that don't get used correctly at the moment as most people just post in the HA forum and admins spend time moving them around.

I can't even think what you would name the forum.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I know it's a very sensitive area. It was only a suggestion.

It may make people feel uncomfortable having a "tragic" forum to post in and could also upset other members that choose to read the posts.

I know that I wouldn't want to post in a forum that highlighted tragedy in my life.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes I agree that reading about people experiencing tragedy may make some members feel uncomfortable. I would like to think that this would not stop them from offering support though but I do understand and take on board your views on this.

I tend to read the threads in the Active Topics section of the forum as it covers all of the boards, and means I can see more people that might need help. I'm assuming it also means more people will see any threads dedicated to people like flipp? Im still not 100% sure how it all works sorry, even after all this time. I always see people just bumping threads that get a bit lost, so maybe we can do this?

ISB ☺ x

I fully support pulisa's suggestion.

Currently people create threads on boards such as GAD, HA, Hugs and Misc for bereavement, vigils and conditions such as cancer (whether the member or a loves one). They get swallowed up on HA and not seen on Misc.

I understand what you mean about largely inactive subboards, some barely move. And I understand not wanting to create more work for Admin. The trouble is though, it's already happening and if we had a dedicated board of some kind we would have to accept that it doesn't mean Admin have to work harder to move threads. People post them in the wrong places and that's on them. I suspect a possible reason for that on the HA board is because they know it's the busiest place and it will get answered sooner, another problem of their reassurance seeking.

It may be triggering for some but a) it's already going on, b) don't read threads on a board aimed at this if it's triggering (personal responsibility) c) the HA board has triggers on every page for HA people and most importantly d) people going through the additional pressures of something like cancer or bereavement should be priority as they need more support than most.

I've seen some say they don't want to talk about these things due to triggering others. Whilst that's great in that it shows how people care, it also sidelines them in favour of the norm of threads about fears alone. That's not right.

Some won't want to discuss these things and just like now, that's their decision. Some may prefer to keep it in PM with friends. There's nothing wrong with that, it's not asking for user stories, it's offering a better place to get support.

In the face-to-face groups the same was heard, people not wanting to upset others. But the point of those walk-ins was for anyone to talk and get support. Sadly events occur like the upsetting news I heard yesterday. Those of us able to get involved because we are mentally strong enough at the time will naturally want to help. Those who can't don't have to and it's not a reflection on them. And to be honest, I've long suspected the majority of HAers look at a handful of boards all connected to their fears because I rarely see them posting elsewhere. This tells me that it will likely fall to those of us who roam more generally but I think we know that anyway as it's a subject that comes up from time to time.

---------- Post added at 06:26 ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 ----------

A discussion relevant to this:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=171993

I have always thought that priority should be given to people undergoing truly challenging life events and that their posts shouldn't be lost in "Misc" or other under-used sub forums and that is why I made this suggestion.

Some of us-whether mentally strong or not-just want to offer their support to members in true need at a very distressing time in their lives

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

And I think that some of the messages on Karina's thread reflect the fact that people are prepared to take time out from their own personal troubles in order to support someone who is going through the worst possible circumstances. What is an anxiety disorder compared to what Karina and other bereaved and suffering members of NMP are going through?

Is that not what the Virtual Hugs sub forum is used for?

Like IBS I always use the recent posts feature so that I see posts from all the forums, but I do believe that a lot of users simply check out the Health Anxiety forum so are unlikely to see other posts anyway.

I don't think it should be "easy" for people to just jump on and follow other people's difficulties.

There are lots of well meaning people out there, that will stick around and stay, and find those threads naturally.

There are also a lot of very negative people who will simply be attracted to reading about other people's tragedies, and stirring shit.

Maybe if the forum wasn't public and had a post limit, I could get behind it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information