Thread: Withdrawal?

Withdrawal?

I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for 4 years and i am wanting to try and come off them. I didn't take one yesterday and today i feel awful, nausea, sweating and feel crap. Could this be withdrawal this early?

Re: Withdrawal?

Why are you wanting to come off?

You cannot just stop taking them, that will make you feel ill.

You might be best talking to your GP about coming off and asking for his advice on how to taper off slowly.

Elen

Reduce by 10% every three weeks. You need a pill cutter for this.

However, unless you have to, I wouldn't come off them unless they are causing major side effects. Going back on a drug after having come off it never has the same effect. If you are well and happy, I'd stick with them.

is there a general list of withdraw symptoms?
    i kept forgetting to take mine so decided to stop. two weeks later a lot of my physical symptoms from years ago have returned (e.g. food allergies, feeling antsy, cold-like aches and pains). in general i feel like crap. is this withdraw or do SSRIs help with physical symptoms as well as mental and coming off them as brought my old problems back.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzammm View Post
    two weeks later a lot of my physical symptoms from years ago have returned (e.g. food allergies, feeling antsy, cold-like aches and pains). in general i feel like crap. is this withdraw or do SSRIs help with physical symptoms as well as mental and coming off them as brought my old problems back.
    If the physical symptoms are psychological, i.e. driven by stress, then yes, they may return once a med is no longer effectively controlling it.

While the very long fluoxetine half-life can limit the severity of withdrawal, it is still a very dumb idea to quit taking it cold-turkey. The other issue is how are you going to control rebound anxiety should it occur? Imho, you should have discussed quitting with your GP before doing so. It is not too late to do so now.

Hi,
    When I came off prozac the first time (back on them tomorrow) I cut it down to one every two days and the withdrawal process wasn't too bad for me. I was also on 20mg, I was on one every two days for quite a few months and then I stopped completely. Sure I had a few headaches, felt a bit distant but after a few weeks I felt fine. But it's definitely better to do it with your doctor.

Thread Information