Thread: School phobia

School phobia

Hi, I'm 15 in year 11 at school, and I have anxiety (emetophobia, slight ocd, generalised anxiety) etc & this year I've missed A very large amount of school. My attendance is currently only around 60% and I have my exams in 3 weeks, yet I can't seem to get myself to school. I've been to a few therapies and my family is very supportive, yet I just can't make myself go. I'm not being bullied & i enjoy school alot, but there's an invisible barrier stopping me from going. Had anyone else experienced something like this? Any advice?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Re: School phobia

I haven't experienced this with school myself(I was home schooled) but I do experience it with most of my groups and occasionally work, is there anything that just runs through your mind when you wake up? anything specific that is telling you it doesn't want to go?
    have you told your parents or the school? they might be able to help, my sister had issues with her exams do they let her do them alone x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale Epona View Post
    I haven't experienced this with school myself(I was home schooled) but I do experience it with most of my groups and occasionally work, is there anything that just runs through your mind when you wake up? anything specific that is telling you it doesn't want to go?
    have you told your parents or the school? they might be able to help, my sister had issues with her exams do they let her do them alone x

All the best
    My school and family are very involved and trying to help as much as they can. I'm usually fine up until the point I am ready and have to walk out the door, and it all goes wrong. I rationally want to go, but can't make myself do it.

It is definitely a curious one, I was just wondering because usually there is reasoning behind it
    I.e don't wanna face people, its scary, too tied, etc.
    can anyone go with you? to encourage you to go there? x

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale Epona View Post
    It is definitely a curious one, I was just wondering because usually there is reasoning behind it
    I.e don't wanna face people, its scary, too tied, etc.
    can anyone go with you? to encourage you to go there? x
    I've walked with friends once or twice, and it really helps until I hit a bad point again and it goes downhill. The main reason behinf jt is my emetophobia and fear of being ill at school, even though no one is getting I'll at the moment

The best thing for Emetophobia is exposure therapy(which you can either do alone or get help with from a therapist) everytime you tell yourself that getting ill at school is unlikely and you go, the more your anxiety about it will drop down in % and it won't feel hard to do anymore. keep reminding yourself that getting ill is unlikely and if someone was ill they'd call in sick and wouldn't come in, if walking with someone else works I'd suggest that and if you go up to your doctor they might be able to give you anti-emetics like they did for my partner x

Thread Information