Thread: Switching SSRI'S

Switching SSRI'S

Hello All,

I have a psychiatrist appt on Monday and will be asking for a med change. I am currently on Celexa. This is my third time on it and i don't feel like its working. I have been on 20mg for almost 4 months. I was on celexa before and it worked wonders @ 20mg.

My question is will switching to another SSRI cause withdraw / start up side effects. Am I in for a long haul again with getting adjusted? By the way I am going to possibly ask for Zoloft, but see what doctor says.

Please share your experience from switching from one SSRI to another.

Thanks

Re: Switching SSRI'S

The theory is that because they act on the same neurotransmitter they will cause an overlap. This will mean you don't experience a withdrawal of the old one and because Serotonin will be impacted upon by the new med. And since the new med is basically taking on the job of the old one, you should have less sensitivity to what they are doing hence the new one shouldn't feel like a start up.

In reality, it's a roll of the dice. Any med can be unsuitable and switching to one that isn't right for you can mean difficult start ups. But equally you could switch to one that is suited to you and have a smoother time of it.

What you do have to bare in mind is that whilst these SSRI's are primarily acting on Serotonin, they do have a sensitivity profile against other neurotransmitters and this can be where some side effects come in.

Thanks Terry!!! I just got back from the Psychiatrist and he wants me to stay on the Celexa and we are going to try a mood stabilizer called Zyprexa. So we will see what happens. I am a little concerned as I am reading that a lot of people have gained weight on it. The psychiatrist also told me I could have rapid weight gain if that happens then we need to try something else.

Weight gain happens with anti psychotics. They tend to alter metabolism. There are others on here who take that med so you have a few people around who understand more about it.

From 3 on here I know who take it, they found they gained weight due to raiding the cupboards but once they reduced down below 5mg, that went away and they lost the weight again. Gregcool lost weight very rapidly.

Thanks Terry!! Yea I posted on the medication board, but it looks pretty dead.

Psychiatrist said i can take up to 5mg. He told me to play around with the dose start with half a tab and work my way up to 5mg to see what suites me best.

Luckily I eat really healthy and have a fast metabolism, so hopefully if this works weight won't be an issue. Once I feel better I am always very active too. So we will see how this plays out in the next 4 weeks before I go back to see the psychiatrist.

Hope all is going well with you

Yeah, there are not many people on as much who take it. There are a couple on most days so they may spot it. The other two I know of are not here much anymore, and another hasn't been on for ages now.

From what I understand, that med can slow you down and make you want to sleep a lot. This is perhaps where it starts affecting metabolism, because it is known to cause metabolic changes long term. Under 5mg, going on what 3 people on here have experienced, that may not be an issue.

So, maybe if you get what you need under 5mg, you can have the best of both worlds?

I'm ok thanks. Just pushing through a spring clean, a good distraction!

Thread Information