Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inositol sideeffects (used for OCD, Anxiety, dp)

Re: Inositol sideeffects (used for OCD, Anxiety, dp)

hey all. i've recently started on the inositol-train! 4 days, but I think it may be making me depressed.... any thoughts? x

nats

inositol has little side effects

This thread started off with a very reasonable question. I'd like to give some information here about things I found myself;

1) I struggle with OCD for many years (~10). Rating on YBOCHS 21/40 (Clinical). More recently it's also other anxiety.
    2) I use 13.5 gr/day of Inositol. I get it from bulksupplements dot com in the US, and the quality seems reasonable to good. This amount comes from testing. More then this makes my brain go into some sort of "pressured" (perhaps "hyper") mode, less is not sufficient.
    3) It is best to use Inositol ONCE per day iirc. I read somewhere that taking multiple doses during the day is not good, and even dangerous (please confirm for yourself). In any case, I take it just before bed as in the 1-2 hours after taking it, things may just go a bit haywire.
    4) The Inositol helps, but it does not eliminate the OCD. "It takes some of the edge of it" would be one way to describe it
    5) I too wonder about Serotonin syndrome. It seems that after a long time of using it you start develop some 'slight' Serotonin-alike symptoms.
    6) It may cause (and for me it started only after a long term use - though this could be caused by a few intense episodes in personal life also, don't know) diarrhea.
    7) NoPoet seems to have missed the fact in one of his early replies that the original poster had OCD. For this, up to 18gr/day (but ref above as to my personal findings - your mileage may vary) is generally listed online.
    8) I have found examine dot com a good website for researching of various herbs etc. At the moment I am looking into some supplemental things, but again, beware of mixing and all possible sideeffects, for example some increase libido (which may frustrate) and/or are contraceptives by themselves etc. etc.

God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by R11 View Post
    This thread started off with a very reasonable question. I'd like to give some information here about things I found myself;

1) I struggle with OCD for many years (~10). Rating on YBOCHS 21/40 (Clinical). More recently it's also other anxiety.
    2) I use 13.5 gr/day of Inositol. I get it from bulksupplements dot com in the US, and the quality seems reasonable to good. This amount comes from testing. More then this makes my brain go into some sort of "pressured" (perhaps "hyper") mode, less is not sufficient.
    3) It is best to use Inositol ONCE per day iirc. I read somewhere that taking multiple doses during the day is not good, and even dangerous (please confirm for yourself). In any case, I take it just before bed as in the 1-2 hours after taking it, things may just go a bit haywire.
    4) The Inositol helps, but it does not eliminate the OCD. "It takes some of the edge of it" would be one way to describe it
    5) I too wonder about Serotonin syndrome. It seems that after a long time of using it you start develop some 'slight' Serotonin-alike symptoms.
    6) It may cause (and for me it started only after a long term use - though this could be caused by a few intense episodes in personal life also, don't know) diarrhea.
    7) NoPoet seems to have missed the fact in one of his early replies that the original poster had OCD. For this, up to 18gr/day (but ref above as to my personal findings - your mileage may vary) is generally listed online.
    8) I have found examine dot com a good website for researching of various herbs etc. At the moment I am looking into some supplemental things, but again, beware of mixing and all possible sideeffects, for example some increase libido (which may frustrate) and/or are contraceptives by themselves etc. etc.

God bless.
    Hi and welcome to NMP

Have you tried encapsulating it? Examine.com is an excellent website, I use that myself and find it very professional, and they referenced a study if inositol where capsule form gave the same effect but at 30% of the same powder dosage. I guess we must waste a lot of it in digestion and this perhaps slows it down?

Where did you hear about it being dangerous if you split dose? That sounds dubious to me since that will mean a much lower peak but it will also mean higher levels in blood plasma over a more sustained period so that might be the angle? I know from vitamin C dosing that they aim for higher levels over a sustainable period as it's better than larger volumes that are wasted.

Did you find out the half life? That seems difficult to find. But with things like vitamins there can be a very short half life so the body will eliminate it completely very quickly. That will likely be why people are using a split dose but it does raise the question of whether the peak is enough too?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information