Thread: It doesn't last forever!

It doesn't last forever!

I posted a couple of years back about feeling "off" and anxious almost constantly. I had troubles even with driving to the point where I was becoming scared to drive. I would hop in my car and need to pull off the freeway here and there to try to get a handle on my breathing and truly thought sometimes that I was just going to stop breathing. At one point during a super stressful time, I was sitting at a stop light and just started shaking and freaking out. Thank goodness I was like 2 blocks from home so I went home and just started bawling my eyes out. I was really starting to feel like I had some sort of sickness that would never go away - because this had gone on for like half the year.

So anyway I found out after having an episode of my heart racing that my potassium was severely low. I can't help but wonder if stress depletes it, but I started drinking coconut water and eating lots of dried apricots to keep my levels up a bit. I also quit one of the jobs I was working because I realized working too many jobs was causing me to be too stressed. I was hell bent on not having to go on any anti-anxiety drugs (because lets face it, i'm scared of taking pills too) and was trying to just exercise more, sleep more, and cut down on stressors.

I can tell you I still have bills and I still worry about money probably what is considered "a lot". I work quite a bit and have 2 little kids at home.... and I'm still trying to finish a college degree. So yes, the stressors are still there, but there are less of them. I started exercising pretty regularly and made sure to get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. My life can still be hectic, but I've made changes that have helped.

I'm happy to report that I've been doing mostly pretty well all year. I don't feel anxious hardly ever and I was just thinking to myself recently that I feel much better than in previous years. I still have a rough patch for a few days here and there with palpitations, but its NOTHING like that continual every day feeling like crap stuff that I had been going through in the past.

I have also found out that Christmas is a major stressor for me. My husband and I actually have a running joke that I always have to go to the ER for palpitations or whatever during the month of December because I've been to the ER every December for the past 4 years. Now I take steps to lessen the stress around the holidays by saving up money for gifts and budgeting for them WELL before December, and then allowing myself to relax during that month. I have to tell myself so what if holiday dinners aren't perfect. I don't kick myself if the house doesn't get decorated perfectly and stay clean. I basically just do what I can to pretend its just like any other month of the year.

So I hope that gives hope to whomever may be reading this. I know some people do really well with anti-anxiety and anti-depressant meds so don't just not take them because I was afraid to. I have friends who have taken them that say they have made a world of difference in their lives.

Re: It doesn't last forever!

Very good to read a success story, thank you for posting it and I am glad you are doing well!

Oh and the December thing (party season) Me too!!! And you know what, our family and friends are just happy to be with us and so what if it's not magazine picture perfect. That time of the year is so much more fun for me now. Hey, we are supposed to enjoy it too!

Good for you.

Glad to hear you're doing well!

This is seriously what I need to hear!
    I've been constantly anxious (scared of meds too) for 10 months now and all
    I can think is is this it now for the rest of my life?! To hear that there could be light at the end of the tunnel is music to my ears.
    Thank you x

That's great to hear! That's what I keep telling myself as well; "It doesn't last forever!". It's hard though sometimes because my anxiety likes to tell me otherwise, but thankfully I have a lot of loving people supporting me and helping me through it.

I got through this twice, but this time I decided to do the med route. Mainly because I can't sleep and if I can't sleep, I can't heal. Tbh, I think it was going to happen at some point anyways because the last time I had a short term job that required getting up early, I couldn't sleep but since it was only short term, I suffered through it. So when I do get a full time job that requires getting up early, I was going to have to be on something.

I don't mind being on medication, even for my whole life as long as I can get by normally and I've had two friends now who mentioned citalopram out of the blue (before I even brought up my anxiety) and how they wished they went on it much sooner. So I figured it might not be a coincidence, and it might be what I need to manage my anxiety/depression for the rest of my life. Of course I'll still be exercising and eating well too but that didn't seem to be enough to keep it under control.

Thread Information