Thread: Really Struggling at present

Unhappy Really Struggling at present

Hi All,

I hope everyone had as good a Christmas as possible with this awful anxiety we suffer.

I have suffered from HA for as long as I can remember (now 37) however have coped perfectly well until August this year when I had an "event" in the middle of the night and had to call an ambulance. The paramedic checked me over and said all was ok, but I knew I didn't feel right and probably should have gone to the hospital for further tests. (I woke up not knowing what was going on and feeling the need to run for my life, Fight or Flight?)

I went to the GP in October as I felt like I was falling apart and she wasn't particularly friendly and thought that it was due to me being a "high flyer" and craving the rush of the worry. She prescribed 100mg Sertraline which I didn't take due to feeling it was too much for a starter dose and went back to another GP who was much better and said that 10mg of Citalopram was more appropriate however to see if I can wait for CBT first.

I haven't taken them and tried St Johns Wort to avoid becoming dependant on anti depressants but they didn't do anything for me.

Anyway, my current symptoms are worries about an impending heart attack, Pain in my kidneys especially left side as well as a painful coccyx and lower back pain which is concerning me as it is all in the same area, therefore I worry it is some horrible cancer. Terrible bloating, stomach cramps etc.. to which I imagine is IBS brought on by constant anxiety.

I now feel there is no other option but to go back to see the GP and start taking the Citalopram, whilst I wait for my CBT appointment. At present I really don't see a way out but this great site has shown me that there are many success stories around.

Sorry to waffle on, hope everyone has a great and more positive New Year.

Re: Really Struggling at present

Hi. I wouldn't hesitate to take the Citalopram. I felt really great on them...had no side affects and neither did my son...I can't take them anymore unfortunately but combined with therapy they are one of the best ADs in my opinion. Good luck. Anxiety is hell at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Justanutter View Post
    Hi. I wouldn't hesitate to take the Citalopram. I felt really great on them...had no side affects and neither did my son...I can't take them anymore unfortunately but combined with therapy they are one of the best ADs in my opinion. Good luck. Anxiety is hell at times.
    Thank you, that's good to know.

I understand the fear about becoming dependent on anti-depressants and for the same reason I didn't take them when I should have. Eventually, I gave in after a terrible, terrible time and I certainly don't regret it. I take citalopram and got no negative side effects really - fatigue is about it when I moved onto a higher dose. As it happens, I tried sertraline and it made me feel absolutely awful.

If it helps, think of it this way: the citalopram is there to break a cycle. This constant cycle of fear and worry will build and build without intervention, either through medicine or therapy. And it's really hard to break that cycle. The tablets help you do that, help you get outside of the fear and begin to deal with it. Once you feel like you have broken the cycle you can move off of them.

Thread Information