Thread: Could Stomach Ache/Back Ache be Anxiety

Could Stomach Ache/Back Ache be Anxiety

Hi,

I have suffered with health anxiety since around March last year. It started when I fainted at the Doctors whilst having a blood sample taken and then when I came round I fainted again. This knocked me for six and I have suffered on and off since. My husband in the same week got dianosed with type 1 diabetes, a friends husband had a stroke a woman across the road died of cervical cancer, it was hurrendous and really scared me and made me think my time is nearly up.

I suffered with chronic anxiety for months, no Doctor actually told me but a friend said that I could be suffering with depression/anxiety/stress, I had no clue what the symptoms were so researched it and that's how I sussed it.

In July I had a weird period pain type ache, I went to the Doctors and she prescribed some heavy duty pain killer. That did no good, I ended up having my coil removed thinking it was that, it wasn't. I started having IBS symptoms, as soon as I would get up I would rush to the toilet, so I was prescribed something for that, to no avail. I was referred to the hospital for a vaginal scan, but the symptoms stopped so I cancelled the appointment as the thought of going to hospital was making my anxiety even worse. Anyway everything really improved and I found I had gone for at least 5 months feeling normal, it was fantastic, until.....

Last Tuesday I started with this period pain type lower abdominal ache again so I rang Doctors and made an appointment, the earliest I could see a Doctor was Wednesday 4th Feb 09. Anyway Wednesday morning I got up and within minutes of getting up felt as though I was about to faint, I sat in the garden in -5 temperatures in my PJ's until the sensation subsided. The rest of the day I felt really unwell, feverish but no temperature and stomach ache around my belly button and in my back just above my pelvis, flu like symptoms and I felt sick. It was not a severe sharp pain just an ache I didn't affect anything else in that there was no blood in my urine or stools etc. I rang the Doc's and they managed to give me an appointment that morning. I felt hurrendous prior to going at 10.50 I drove to the Doc's with a jumper on, zip-up hoody and my thick coat on, my hands were freezing and my heart was racing. The Doctor examined me and in the end has referred me to have an x-ray. I have not had the x-ray yet as I was partly putting it off and also it was hard to find the time around the kids as I wanted to go on my own. Friday night I was popping paracetamol and same on Saturday, we went round to friends last night and I hardly noticed it which made me think it could be anxiety. As I am sat here, I can feel it like a period pain, my back is aching a little. I have convinced myself that it's something life threatening and I am terrified that they are going to turn round to me and say its cancer your not going to make summer. Then on the other hand I am thinking surely if it was serious I would feel really ill and not gradually better, surely I would have discharge, blood or other such like nasties in my urine etc. I am so terrified but know I have to go to put my mind at rest. The worst of it is that I am married to a soldier and we live in Germany so its a German practice I have to go to for the x-ray. The Germans are renouned for being blunt which also scares the bee geebers out of me, I don't feel its imadginary its quite real.

Has anyone else had similar symtoms. Sorry for the long tale, this is my first time on here just found it and so far just reading some of the site I feel quite assurred.

Thanks. x

Re: Could Stomach Ache/Back Ache be Anxiety

I too get a period type stomach ache and lower back ache. My Dr tells me it's IBS or possibly a small ovarian cyst.

I was in town a few months back when I first got this pain but also had a pain on the lower right side and felt a pop. My Dr thinks it could be a small ovarian cyst popping and to see how I go. If it gets any worse to go back. I still get the period type pain all the time and have been told it's more than likely due to my IBS. That can cause pain that feels like period pain in your bowel and can cause lower back pain. I've tried loads of IBS tablets (buscopan, colefac etc) and nothing has worked so I just try to ignore it and get on with it. Convinced myself I have something worse though like endometriosis as that can cause pain all month around and make your periods painful and heavy (which mine are even on the pill).

I hope everything goes well with your x-ray and try not to worry (easier said than done I know). Let us know how it goes.

Hi Hazy

I get this as well and have actually had it for a week now. I get such a sore stomach when i am tense and stressed and a sore lower back. It is really bad when i am sitting hunched up at my desk and it feels a lot better when i am walking and standing straight. I have had this for a good few years and it will only go away when i relax (have a glass of wine or two!) and take my mind of it. Because your muscles are so tight it will cause you pain and discomfort. Try not to think about it and keep your mind busy. I know it is easier said than done but you have already done it when you visited friends and it took your mind off it for a bit. Back ache and stomach ache are very common when you are stressed or tense. I have a sore back now as we speak but i know it will go away over time especially if you accept it and dont let it worry you as this will just tighten your muscles even more.

It is common, many of us have irritable bowel syndrome from stress. However, we can't assume it's nothing and just our health anxiety. The best thing to do is get a pelvic ultrasound if you can and the x-ray you're already getting.

The back pain is very common, probably the most common complaint that people have and all they really do for that is an MRI..I would focus more on the tummy symptoms and get an answer so you can treat it if it's actually a condition.

Had my ultra sound scan

Hi and thanks for replying to my thread. I finally plucked up courage and went for my scan this morning, I was so worried and as you can guess had convinced myself it was serious!! Basically I was given the all clear, the Doctor scanned my sides, uterus and other organs and then mumbled something in broken English (German Doctor) that he couldn't scan the intestines, I think he said, but hey I am happy and what a relief, I have to take the results back to the Medical Centre and see a Doctor there. I will let you know of any updates, thanks all. x

Had similar low back pain and stomach ache myself. Stools were as normal. MRI of lower back shower some inflamation around the "sticky-out" parts of a couple of lumbar vertebra due to the fact they were rubbing agasinst each other as a disc was slightly compressed. Being treated by my osteopath, hopefully will sort out problem eventually by reducing the disc compression so the vertebra "sticky-out" parts don't rub against each other any more. This has been my experience so far!
    Stress plays an important role in most physical discomforts though. Winding down is definately a good thing.

Thread Information