Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear...migraine aura!

Re: Oh dear...migraine aura!

Hi im female i know lots of people with them. My friend has a really bad time with it and loses vision and can smell strange things. Her speach even goes, you would honestly think she was having a stroke, but has had this for 20 years lol

I don't mean to pry, but is it anything to do with her time of the month? Hormones can cause them and I used to get them a lot at that age, always around my time of the month. May be worth making a note of the date/day of her cycle in case it happens again.

That's very reassuring rockydog! So bloody scary though aren't they! It's like 11pm and I keep going in and checking on her.....Its not good. She's been fine though for most of the day.
    Lauz Lea, thanks for your reply.....I did ask her when she last had her period and being the very private girl she is, she just kind of said, I dunno, not long ago...but the thing is, when she first started her period a year ago, I asked her to keep a diary of when and how long they go for but she hasn't! And she won't tell me if she has them either! She's so private and doesn't like to talk about it, this doesn't help. I was just thinking today that I may have to push her to tell me when each month so I can keep track myself....
    How did you deal with them being so young? Did u have auras?

Kel x

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Rockydog......does your friend panic when she gets them? That's so scary. Does it run in her family too? My mum and her mum don't and have never really spoken about health things or family history (no idea why) I have to really nag to get any info! They're just ignorant I think...my mum has no recollection of having migraines before these last two she's had this past 2 years but I certainly remember her complaining about migraines when I was younger! How can she not remember? Maybe cause it didn't bother her to stress about it?? I asked my nana if she gets them and she said yes! Especially when she's been stressed and she gets pain at the back of her head and so do I so it surely is a genetic thing for us wouldn't you say? Even though I've gone through a lot of my life not knowing about it or suffering while young.....It just seems all too surreal...I've never considered any of my family to be migraine sufferers but since my bout last year I've been putting the jigsaw together and now my poor daughter is on the band wagon! The thing is though, if my mum and nana can match theirs up with stressful times, why is it that I would get one regardless of stress? And Bella certainly hasn't been stressed...it has to be hormones....surely

Yeah it sounds like a family thing. My brother gets them and my sisters children do. Its always a worry when your kids have anything, but she will be fine.
    The one thing you can do for her is remove the fear you had, you can react calmly and remind her that you have them and dont let her doubt its anything but a migraine. You clearly didnt have anyone with this experience when you first suffered so are now still suffering from the time when it scared you so much. (i think) lol
    My friend still dreads them although knows what they are, but most people would panic a little at losing their sight.
    When my son rings i try very hard to play it down and say ah ok how longs it been going on, ok we know it always lasts about this time... have you got the tablets... go and take one and drink loads of water and it will help. By the time he has done this his sight is usually back ( and im still feeling panicked for him ) But its the one thing you can do to try and prevent her having more anxiety as she gets older. My sons last one, last week, was on the first day of a new job. x

Migraines are nothing to worry about and nothing anywhere near serious, especially as it looks like it runs in your family. I've only ever had about 7 in my lifetime but they're awful and so painful! The best thing to do when you have a migraine is to remember they are not harmful and sleep it off with a few painkillers.

If you experience a lot of problems with regular migraines, your doctor should be able to give you pills which help prevent or stop migraines. My friend is on pills like these, she suffers from them regularly and they do the trick.

So far, science has come to no understanding of what actually causes migraines, but it is common knowledge that they are not dangerous or harmful in any way.

Personally, I get this blind spot where my vision goes into a little hole, which then wears off quite rapidly, then on comes the awful headache which only gets worse until I turn all the lights off in my house and go to sleep. My nan also suffers from them and gets zig zags. Some people get no symptoms at all and just the headache.

There is nothing to worry yourself over, so you and your daughter should try not to panic

Thanks so much jsp. I truly appreciate you all sharing your experiences....because there's not anyone around me who can sympathize or reassure its all been a very terrifying experience. You would think by the sound of it that I should take comfort knowing that my mum has had a couple in the last couple of years and that I remember her complaining of them when I was young, but like I said, she doesn't really speak about things and obviously she hasn't had them like me for them to be a problem for her and really I must admit we aren't all that close either so I do feel bewildered with this. Without the help from you guys that are experienced with this thing, I don't know what kind of mess I'd be in this morning! I think I may have googled a little too much last year when I started getting them and read some pretty horrific info about them being potentially dangerous!!!! But I guess evidence shows with sufferers like you and others on here that the likely outcome is not what I have read.......
    Do any of you or your families avoid triggers? Or do you just live as usual? I'm worrying thinking that I should tell Bella to do this and don't do that to avoid them..??? I've already told her to be careful when coming inside to dull lighting from being outside and not to eat cheese! Eeek! Maybe I shouldn't have put this into her head?? She spends alot of time on her iPad too and I told her she's now on time limits with it and to turn the brightness down and don't read small font......

Well it depends on what triggers it. Normally I do not avoid any triggers as they just come on completely randomly. Well, without any known triggers.

If she notices a pattern, of foods she eats or other random activities, then she should discontinue the activity and see if that helps preventing the migraines. Does she suffer from migraines regularly? Like a few in a month?

It took me a long time to realise mine where to do with my hormones/TOTM but the doc gave me some pretty good pills at the time which did the trick. My migraines also got worse when I went on the pill, I'd be in bed for days. The aura's weren't as worrying as the pain but I've had lots of migraines in my life, the worst ones have been when I lose vision in one eye, they don't hurt, they're just scarey as hell.

There are so many things that can trigger migraines, and until you recognise the signs of one coming on its hard to know what triggers it.

I think you're right Lauz lea...I tried so hard to find the pattern with mine and its almost impossible.....

Jsp...this was Bella's first ever one! Which is why I'm in a state of panic over it....I desperately hope that she doesn't get another one, or at least for a very long time! I'm sure this is what all of us wish for especially when it's our kids suffering.

I started taking vitamin b2 a few months ago because I heard it can help with migraines and I haven't had one since but I'm not holding my breath! I'm aware that they can come in clusters and then just vanish for no known reason and this is what it could just be...I've started Bella on the B2 as of today also and also some magnesium....these minerals will do her good anyways even if they don't do anything for her in the way of migraines...

Kel xx
    Last edited by Kelley; 01-06-12 at 11:22.

Well it sounds like your daughter doesn't have much of a problem! As this was her first ever one, it looks like she will be similar to most of the population and only have a few, if any, a year this is nothing to worry about. Migraines are very common, just painful, and remember they're NOT dangerous.

Just make sure that if she has one again, give her some standard painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen if she is able to take them, turn of any lights so the room is dark or stop any loud sound which also makes it worse for most people.

The multi-vitamins may indeed help prevent migraines if the reasons for it was because of deficiency, although science has not yet discovered any causes of migraines, but it won't help taking them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information