Thread: I think I have OCD

I think I have OCD

I'm not sure if I have OCD or if it's just general anxiety. I find social events a nightmare because the next day I find myself in a state of panic that I have offended somone by saying or doing the wrong thing. I find that my memory goes blank (not because of the alcohol but it seems to freeze with panic). I constantly have to check my mobile phone to see who I phoned and when.

I was out on Friday with colleagues and have so far contacted 4 people who have said that I have nothing to worry about but 2 people have yet to return my call and I am in a terrible state because I think that I have offended them and that I will be in trouble when I get into work tomorrow. I have been unable to function all weekend with the worry, I just want evrything to beokay.

Is this OCD?

Hi Lucia
    I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like anxiety to me, not OCD.
    Take care,
    Cobweb

I get that and wondered if it was OCD.

I always have the fear that I will accidently say something offensive or horrible to someone or a sentence will pop into my brain thats really horrible and I'll feel I have to say it and I have to say it under my breath or really concentrate so I don't say it.

And then whenevr I text people I read the text about 3 times before I send it, send it then go back to my sent messages read it again twice and check I sent it to the right person. I also check I haven't accidentally phoned people all the time as well.

I don't know what it is, but it's nice to know someone knows how I feel.

Sounds like OCD to me.

I am so glad to have someone to talk to who goes through the same things I do.

Hi. It sounds like you have an OCD. Rituals and checking things are symptoms of an OCD, but remember people who suffer from OCD are also anxious so I think anxiety causes the OCD. Try to allow yourself to check something only once so it doesn't start to take over your life, and maybe deal with your overall anxiety by talking to your Doctor.
    Please try not to worry as worrying makes it worse!

shoegal xxx
    Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk in private.

From what you are describing it sounds to me that you may be experiencing a form of social anxiety. To be honest it doesn't matter if it is OCD or Anxiety, the issue is that it is impacting on your life and that you are finding it very upsetting. If you have not already done so I would have a chat with your doctor if you feel you can do so. Many people with anxiety worry about the impact that they have on others, this is because you are a caring person and do not wish to upset anyone, however you are upsetting yourself and you are just as important. You mentioned alcohol - I am just wondering if you are using it to make yourself feel more confidant when you go out, please take care with doing this as alcohol is a depressant and does not help with anxiety. Don't feel alone there are many people who feel the way you do.

Hi Lucia
    I get this feeling too (but not to your extent) and I have both OCD and Social Anxiey.
    Im no expert on the matter but Id say its more to do with Social Anxiety but your best bet is to go to your docs and get help cuz you shouldnt suffer like this alone and they will give you something that will help take the pressure off abit...
    Take care!
    Jenny

**To the world you are just 1 person... To 1 person you are the world**

Thread Information