Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange feelings in chest

strange feelings in chest

hi, i've had quite bad health anxiety past couple years, past year it's been really bad but slowly getting better. i have a couple concerns, sometimes i can be sitting and my hearts beating and then all of a sudden it beats really hard for one beat then goes back to normal. this happens once or twice every few days.

I also get a strange feeling in my chest that I can't quite explain, it's like my stomach is grumbling but it's where my heart is.

I also get chest pains sometimes, but I'm not too worried about them but it does make me wonder if it's heart related. the pains different, sometimes it can be a sharp feeling that lasts a couple seconds or sometimes it can be a dill pain that lasts longer.

thanks

Re: strange feelings in chest

Hi i think this is what i,feel too. But hard to explain, But this is the closest to my symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by kahi35 View Post
    Hi i think this is what i,feel too. But hard to explain, But this is the closest to my symptoms
    It's not nice :(

Oh my god...you've literally described exactly what I've been going through for the last three weeks!
    Intermittent palpitations, which don't bother me too much as I put those down to anxiety, but that weird fluttery / rumbling sensation is awful.
    I went to see my GP about it yesterday as it's been on and off for three weeks and he didn't seem overly concerned. Said it could be down to "seasonal asthma" which I've never had before! Not convinced myself.

Quote Originally Posted by KristieHollins View Post
    Oh my god...you've literally described exactly what I've been going through for the last three weeks!
    Intermittent palpitations, which don't bother me too much as I put those down to anxiety, but that weird fluttery / rumbling sensation is awful.
    I went to see my GP about it yesterday as it's been on and off for three weeks and he didn't seem overly concerned. Said it could be down to "seasonal asthma" which I've never had before! Not convinced myself.
    Intermittent palpitations are the hard thuds right? How can you be cool with those? They are the worst experience in the world.

From wikipedia:

Vagus nerve induced palpitation is felt as a thud, a hollow fluttery sensation, or a skipped beat, depending on at what point during the heart's normal rhythm the vagus nerve fires. In many cases, the anxiety and panic of experiencing palpitations causes a sufferer to experience further anxiety and increased vagus nerve stimulation.

Hey Wired

I've had them for years. Started in my early 20's and after many tests, ECGs etc they were put down to caffeine intolerance, which I now avoid like the plague.
    They came back 12-18 months ago and I probably get them on a weekly basis. I find a good, hard cough does trick and regulates things again.

How long do the grumbling, fluttery sensations last? I can't help much really here, but I just got back from A&E because I had a fluttery thing going on for 5 - 6 seconds. I felt it was more than just ectopics/skips......so I'm kind of curious :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna View Post
    How long do the grumbling, fluttery sensations last? I can't help much really here, but I just got back from A&E because I had a fluttery thing going on for 5 - 6 seconds. I felt it was more than just ectopics/skips......so I'm kind of curious :-)
    What did the hospital say it was Rosanna?

They didn't really say. They just said if it settles then not to worry, if it continued for too long then come back in. They said the normal chest x-ray, blood test and ecg was reassuring.

I've had doctors tell me in the past that anything that lasts a matter of seconds is usually nothing to worry about. It's just that this fluttery feeling usually only lasts 3 - 4 seconds with me, but yesterday it was more like 6 seconds...and it worried me.

Runs of ectopics/skipped beats can apparently do this. I've had runs of those though and they don't feel as light and feathery as this....ho hum...it might not be the same as what you've been experiencing....

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna View Post
    it usually only lasts for a couple of seconds, long enough to notice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information