Thread: PAC/PVC then Fast Heart Rate?

PAC/PVC then Fast Heart Rate?

Hi All,

Does anyone ever have a PVC/PAC immediately followed by a *very* fast heart rate? I had an episode of this whilst driving yesterday and it was disconcerting to say the least. It *felt* like the PVC/PAC 'triggered' a super-fast rate for a few mins, but we all know how things feel, and what actually happens are often two v. different things. It gradually slowed down. No abrupt stopping.

I've had a few episodes like this before, but months and months ago. Rationally, I know it's almost certainly anxiety related as I was feeling panicky before I got in the car (had to make the trip), but could do with some reassurance

Re: PAC/PVC then Fast Heart Rate?

The medical literature does say ectopics can trigger tachycardias. If you were then to become anxious because of the tachycardia, the heartrate would remain fast when the tachycardia ended and gradually slow as you became less anxious.

This would give your pattern of an ectopic then tachycardia then gradual slowing. It could be hard to get a diagnosis without wearing a monitor for a long time if it's as rare as you say.

However, I will add that I once thought I had a sudden tachycardia but a portable monitor later showed was actually just a very quick increase in the normal heart rhythm.

Of course, like me, you can get philosophical and wonder if an ectopic is not just a single-beat tachycardia.
    Last edited by Aaahhfreakout; 23-05-17 at 15:15.

Re: PAC/PVC then Fast Heart Rate?

Thanks Freakout.

Yes, I'm prepared to countenance that I may have just experienced a v. quick increase in heart rate - I was driving at 70mph on the M62 when it happened, so didn't exactly have time to find out!

Thing is, last time these things kicked off I had a normal ECG and Holter - it just said "rare isolated and couplet pacs" as well as "rare multifocal pvcs", which I take to be essentially normal and better than many. Going back again just looks a bit silly.

As ever, getting one's anxiety under control is key to dealing with this stuff.

Thread Information