Thread: Hello

Hello

First of all I have to say this a great site. It's good that people struggling with common fears and phobias have a place to go for reassurance and to talk to others who understand what it is like.

I am 27 and have been dealing with health anxiety since I was about 18 years old. I have had overwhelming fears mostly dealing with cancer. I think there are several reasons that I struggle with this aside from the biological or mental chemistry's of my body and mind making me even more susceptible. I had a friend pass away in high school from a rare and aggressive type of malignant brain cancer. I also had a friend who's wife died at 23 from another aggressive type of cervical cancer. I am a nurse and I have seen many people struggle with many cancers, all of which seem to fuel my fears at one time or another. I even have a colleague who is 25 years of age and was diagnosed with TWO types of rare cancer a few months back.

Needless to say, anytime I have something go wrong with my health, even when my reason often tells me otherwise, the more overpowering thoughts of dread and despair of cancer seem to take over. It can be almost crippling at times. The panic attacks and depression that follow seem to be able to last for months, especially when my mind is stuck in the mode of comparing my symptoms to those who are really struggling with these horrible and terrifying afflictions. Sometimes I feel somewhat selfish in spending so much time focusing on myself, but alot of the time it seems that my thoughts just cannot be redirected.

Just dropping a line to let everyone know, I can empathize with how you are feeling because I often find myself in the same dark and scary place.

Re: Hello

hi spoonfriend- i just wanted to let you know that i can COMPLETELY sympathize with how you feel. i think that post could have been written by me. cancer has been my absolutely biggest fear for years and years. i have no words of wisdom really, and i can't really say anything that might help you because i don't know how to make this better - but i thought you'd like to hear that there is someone out there who knows exactly how you feel. i'm 27 too, and find that i can't really talk to anyone about this because nobody in my life would really understand. we're young and 'healthy' and in the prime of our lives, i just know that my friends couldn't understand. at the suggestion of someone here on these boards, i've purchased a book from amazon called self help for your nerves by claire weekes. i haven't gotten it yet but he said that it is like his bible. might be worth a look for you. anyway, good luck and take care of yourself - i am right there with you in all this!

Thread Information