Thread: Books to help me

Books to help me

I just wondered which books could help someone like me who is quite severely depressed, has high anxiety and elements of ocd. My ocd is mainly pure "o" whereas I have very distressing intrusive thoughts. The reason I am asking is because I just read that someone had been waiting for 6 weeks now for counselling. I was referred last week for counselling, I am on medication but don't feel it is having such a major effect and fully believe I will need to increase to 30mg of mirtazapine.

However I am not coping well at the minute and would like some help in the meantime before I get counselling.
    I already have:
    Imp of the Mind
    Brain Lock
    Any suggestions would really help me, thanks xx

Re: Books to help me

Have you tried any other meds? I think certain meds can be excellent for ocd and it's obviously finding the right one for you. I know the thoughts are upsetting and can be unbearable at times but remember: no matter how awful they are they can't harm you or anyone else. Never forget this. They don't change what kind of person you are - you are still the same person with unwanted thoughts. Try and take a lighthearted look at your thoughts and try and laugh at them. Don't take them seriously. Claire Weekes' books are so old but she mentions unwanted thoughts in them and that they are nothing to be afraid of. I really feel for you because you are so distressed by them. You are the important one, not the stupid thoughts!!
    Myra x

Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts: How to Gain Control of Your OCD by David Clark and Christine Purdon

this is a good book.. not too long - i hate books that go on forever

hullo again!

I recommend the following books:
    The panic attack, anxiety and phobia solutions handbook by Muriel MacFarlane.
    What to do if you're burned out and blue by Dr Kristina Downing-Orr.

Both full of useful info and help and advice. You should be able to order them from your local library.

Thank you Myra,yes I don't seem to be able to take the fear away that these thoughts bring. Everytime and just usually I have this at the back of my mind, its always there. Everything reminds me of it and I just can't seem to understand that a thought doesn't lead to an action. To me, this just doesn't click in my head.Thank you for being very supportive.

Thanks Kellkoo and Paul I will give them a shot! x

Thread Information