Thread: Being a Single Parent

Being a Single Parent

IS TOUGH!

I have a two year old boy and like the title says, I am a single parent. My anxiety and depression started about 6 months ago and I'm still surprised to this day that it hasn't gone away yet. I've always been a strong person who has pushed their feelings back to take care of others but this is something that I just can't shake. I had my first panic attack last October and since then its been a downward spiral, mostly with hypochondria. This anxiety has led to depression which has made the anxiety worse and vice versa. I feel like a totally different person now and its super frustrating. All of these emotions have made it so much harder to work and take care of my son without feeling like stress and anxiety is going to make my brain implode. I doubt myself all the time. I've been to the doctors several times and each time they prescribe something and tell me to "just breathe" because that apparently takes care of everything.

Any single parents on here with depression and anxiety who have some advice to give?

Re: Being a Single Parent

Hi, I was a single parent with depression with my first. It was very difficult. I found help from different groups, in the UK we have Gingerbread for single parents, I am sure there will be similar in the US. I think sometimes it takes more than "just breathe", finding some support, someone to talk through your thoughts & feelings may help. Its hard work being a parent without added stresses. Hope you feel better soon, pm me if you just need to anytime(I spend too much time on nmp lol!) Take care xx

I'm a newly single parent to an almost 10 year old and feel I'm reaching breaking point. No words of advice but just wanted you to know you aren't alone.

Thanks for the replies This may sound horrible but sometimes I think.. just what if, what if this anxiety and depression has been brought on by being a parent. Would my life be any better if I weren't. I love my son and I would not be able to live on this earth without him but sometimes those thoughts just creep up on you. I know I can't be the only one to think them. We have some support groups here in the US its just a matter of reaching out to them and honestly I don't have much time. I have other mom friends, all married, so its hard to connect with someone who knows exactly what I'm going through. I find that single mothers are judged all the time for things that really have nothing to do with who we actually are. There is always the pressure to be one step ahead. Its tiring. I just want both of us to be ok and happy.

Do you have family support ? Or friends that can babysit your child sometimes so you can have a break ?
    Would you consider childcare?
    In Australia there's an org called family first which is for providing physical and emotional support for struggling parents. Is there something similar in the UK?

Bonquiqui, yes I do actually have a lot of family support, thankfully. Im in the US and I know that there are some resources and groups that you can reach out to. My family members sometime watch my son and I'll maybe go out with my single non parenting friends for a night out or something but that anxiety is still there. I crave a break but when I get one I start to miss my son immediately lol. But to answer your question yes to all of the above. I am actually looking into a certain childcare center for him now that he'll be starting soon.

Thread Information