Thread: panic and anxiety about my teeth

panic and anxiety about my teeth

I often feel bad anxiety and panic how my teeth look and how people judge me that my teeth are awful (I dont enjoy smiling, find talking to people difficult) I know I had treatment to fix any problems with my teeth (but not proud of the silver fillings). Because I had a bit of work and have a huge problem with my teeth how their come together (removable braces did not work even though I wore them)
    I panic everytime I am due to go to the dentist, even though I do try my hardest to keep my teeth clean. I am more scared of losing them. I have talked to my dentist who knows why I dont enjoy going and keep saying I am embarrassed.

Re: panic and anxiety about my teeth

My best piece of advise is to realize that your teeth could use improvement, but they are they way they are in its own way and you need to own it. Stop being afraid to smile. Its okay to feel a little shy about it, but if it is causing you anxiety your goal should be to stop seeing yourself so negatively.

I think this isn't much of anxiety issue as opposed to an overall self esteem issue that stems forward into a horrible anxiety issue.

Heres what I would do:

I would take control of what I can change. Brush your teeth and keep them looking clean.

You said that you did try braces but it didn't work out. Are your teeth completely crooked? When smiling, try to alter your smile. It doesn't have to be huge and open. Just a hint of teeth when smiling. The more you hide your teeth when talking to people though, the more stressed you will end up so keep that in mind.

And I would also go to the dentist no matter how scary it is to try and fix what I can fix.

This is an issue I know you can overcome and can be done by shifting your point of view on how you see yourself. It all starts within. Im sure even with beautiful perfect teeth...if you had this mentality, you'd still find something wrong with yourself. Try to take a step back and appreciate who you are. This is an inside job that won't be fixed until you allow yourself to fix it.

Re: panic and anxiety about my teeth

Thank you for your reply. It how my teeth come together is the problem. My first dentist I had when I was eight or nine wanted me to have on operation on my jaw to break the bone to help bring my teeth together. I have never cancelled an appointment even though I been to the dentist since I was one up to 33, so the amount of times I have been you think I will know the score. I know dentists have seen worst than mine and not just talking about the dentist I see.

Thread Information