Thread: Feeling hopeless

Feeling hopeless

I have poorly controlled severe gastroparesis and my GI is saying there isn't anything else he can do for me. I was already very depressed with high anxiety (I'm on an antidepressant) but this just confirmed that I am a hopeless case. I see a counselor but he isn't a good fit and the waiting list for mental health services in my area is 420 days so don't jave any option of switching. I have suicidal ideation but don't habe the guts to do it. I'm 15 years in recovery from anorexia and I am starting to relapse.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Feeling hopeless

Can only say that you have come so far and managed somehow, Caper. There must be hope and other options. Is it possible for you to afford to go private? Even if it's only a second opinion and advice?

Keep holding on.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Not really as I have been on disability for 3 years. There are a few private psychologists/counselors here but in Canada we don't have private MDs as our medical system is only public.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Surely you have right to a second opinion from another GI? It's made impossibly hard when you feel so hopeless and depressed, Caper, but I would push for your counsellor to refer you urgently to an MD who can review your meds. Perhaps increase or change your regimen?

Something has to be done.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I'm actually in the middle of a med change for.stupid reason. I have chronic pain and see a pain mgmt dr. I was on pregabalin but my insurance will only cover it if I try and fail a tricyclic antidepressant. So I'm weening off pregabalin and started amitriptyline so I had to go off Mirtazipine because you can't be on more than one antidepressant. Mirtazipine was working though made me a bit hypomanic ( i have bipolar type 2). It also was helping my appetite and nausea. I've been off mirtazipine and on amitriptyline for 2 weeks and my nausea has increased a lot and I have no appetite at all. I don't think I can see a psychiatrist. I was seen by one as an urgent consult at the end of my 62 day hospitalization for Gastroparesis in january and he prescribed the mirtazipine and I was fast tracked into counselling. I told the receptionist about my hypomania and she said i would have to go to the ER and be seen by the psychiatrist on call. The average wait for non emergencies in our ER is 9 hours so I really don't want to go that route. I can't change GIs as we only have 2 and mine is the better of the 2 and the wait time to be seem in the city 5 hours from here is a year or so. If I get sick enough to get admitted again I'm tempted to go to the ER in the city 5 hours from here to be seen by one of their GIs.

So effectively your aren't on an antidepressant at all now because the amitriptyline dosage will be for pain management and not depression and will be a tiny dose. No wonder you feel so terrible and especially so after being told that by your GI.

So in terms of your gastroparesis what are the drug options? Would it be worth saying that the amitriptyline as a pain med is not an option if it means cutting out effective antidepressant therapy which has been proved to work and also to help your appetite and nausea? it seems to me as if the low dose amitrip is the culprit here-taking it at the expense of the other drugs isn't working for you in more ways than one.

Can I just say that anyone who has been in recovery from anorexia for 15 years is an immensely strong and resilient person and one I admire greatly.

Please don't give up hope. There is always hope especially for someone as strong as you obviously are.

I hope you are feeling a bit better and maybe have made some sort of a plan in your own mind for your future treatment?

8. Re: Feeling hopeless

Hi, one of my friends was also suffering from the same condition as you are in then he tried out some hypnosis therapy in few sittings he feel far better and now he is absolutely fine, please do not take medicines they have side effects. Go and see the hypnotherapist to overcome your depression

Thread Information