Thread: Dental Phobia - Numbness - The Wand

Dental Phobia - Numbness - The Wand

I’ve been lucky that I got a referral to the Community dentist from my Doctor around 10 years ago due to acute anxiety/agoraphobia/panic attacks. But in all that time I still havent managed to get numbed up fully so I can have fillings done or teeth extracted, which I need. Even as my panic symptoms have improved going out, the fear of numbing remains and I panic about any little issue with my teeth as that means a dentist, and that means numbing.

When numbing starts - even with the tooth gel - I feel out of control as I can’t feel my gum/side of tongue/lip and panic sets in. Ive got gel to try at home, but just can’t seem to get past it. Worse of all was my last dentist visit where the dentist decided to force me forward, by quickly leaning me back in the chair, putting the gel on, telling me he was going to inject and ‘get this filling done’. Of course I submitted at first, but one the gel started to numb, I quite literally bolted out if the chair and out if the building with Hubby in pursuit. That has put me off going back.

I’ve read about The Wand which delivers the anaesthetic directly to the tooth and so you don’t get the facial numbing? Has anyone experienced this tyoe of dentistry = I know its not NHS, but if it’s a solution, then its worth it so rhat I can just stop worrying about my teeth!

Re: Dental Phobia - Numbness - The Wand

Hi,
    So the wand can numb just one little area without numbing more.
    Its good but can be expensive.
    I would do some research.
    Hope this helps/

Hiyer, If you don't get many replies about the wand here, then you could try 'dental fear central'. They have information on this technique and threads where people have used it.

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/technology/wand/

I am quoting:
    "Types of Sedation Dentistry
    We offer two types of sedation here at Dental Care of Plano:

- Oral sedation is an orally-taken medication. We’ll prescribe you the pill before your visit, and you take it about an hour before arriving. By the time you get here, you’ll feel calm. With this type of sedation, you do need someone to drive you to and from the appointment.
    - Nitrous oxide, also called “laughing gas”, is an inhaled sedative that we administer at the start of your treatment. It takes effect immediately, and typically you do not need anyone to drive you home after your appointment. With this type of sedation, we can monitor exactly how much you need to help you feel comfortable."

Hi littlebutterflygb

Quote Originally Posted by littlebutterflygb View Post
    I’ve read about The Wand which delivers the anesthetic directly to the tooth and so you don’t get the facial numbing? Has anyone experienced this tyoe of dentistry = I know its not NHS, but if it’s a solution, then its worth it so rhat I can just stop worrying about my teeth!
    Here is what The Wand STA (single tooth anesthetic) is and how it works.
    The Wand STA is a computer-controlled local anesthetic delivery system. In other words your dentist will deliver the local anesthetic with a tool called the hand piece; it looks very similar to a pen.

The doctor places the tip of pen on your gum in the area where the injection is to be given and controls the flow of the injection using the computer.

Before to use The Wand STA, a drop of topical numbing agent first numbs the injection site (very little spot), and then the needle creates a comfortable injection pathway.

This anesthetic delivery system offers more accuracy for the area being numbed. In most cases your mouth, tongue, lip, and cheek will not be numbed. Even if the dentist can have more control on the area that will be numbed, he/she can not be absolutely sure that only the tooth to be treated will be anesthetized and that no part of the gum/gingival tissue will be affected by the effect of anesthesia.

The Wand STA system works perfectly if you’re afraid of needles because it does not look or feel like a conventional syringe injection.

So what about the fear of numbing ??? Please continue reading after the next quote .....

Quote Originally Posted by littlebutterflygb View Post
    ...... I still havent managed to get numbed up fully so I can have fillings done or teeth extracted, which I need. Even as my panic symptoms have improved going out, the fear of numbing remains and I panic about any little issue with my teeth as that means a dentist, and that means numbing.
    In my opinion sedation with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) may work much better in your specific case.
    I am quoting:

"... using laughing gas, fear is replaced by a comforting feeling of warmth and security. The patient is in a sort of trance condition, far away from the treatment activity. The patient experiences pleasant thoughts and time seems to fly. At the same time, pain sensitivity and unpleasant reflexes such as gagging and swallowing impulses are markedly reduced.
    Laughing gas (nitrous oxide, chemically N2O) has been used for over 150 years for medical purposes and is the oldest and most researched anesthetic gas ...."

That being said, it's easy to guess that the best anesthetic treatment for your case is: The Wand STA (that can limit the numbed area) + laughing gas (that makes your dental phobia to disappear).

Unfortunately it is not easy to find a dentist who uses both anesthetic delivery systems.

I hope this brief description can help you. I would have liked to add links to web pages with more info but I can not because I have not yet written 10 messages (as the forum system is telling me).

Wish you to find the right solution as soon as possible.
    Last edited by PatriUCLA; 03-04-18 at 00:29.

Good day to you. Another option could be 'waterlase' . This is, as it implies, cold water and laser which does not require an injection to numb. My private dentist offers this although I personally don't have an issue with injections so have no experience but have been told it works well. The other option is sedation which again is generally offered by a lot of private dentists. Above all though you need a dentist that understands your fear and has the time and training to help you.

Thread Information