Thread: Looking for sum help

Looking for sum help

Hi there this is my first post any ware and looking for advice as today I took my first step towards a doctor. For years I thought I was fine and clearly I was not. Sorry for spelling.

I am 31 and for years I have suffered to what I think is anxity I was trying to cope and two years ago I was jumped bye 3 people and left for dead. For 2 years I have kept from going outside when I do I star breathing heavy sweating as I just don't feel safe outside. It got that bad I lost my job began losing friends as I don't want to leave my house.

I took step going to doctors who signed me of work for 3 months and referred to pycatrist. I have never been to one and doctor was thankful I decide to come forward but was bit upset I didn't go years ago as it's got a lot worse. I don't know what comes after this I know I have a long journey to try get better but any advice on going forward would be great

Re: Looking for sum help

Hi Jamiebanks
    You're doing the right thing - taking the first steps in your recovery. It sounds like you never recovered mentally from your attack. That isn't surpising given the horror you describe. Every journey starts with one small step and you have now accepted you need help.

Improvements are made when we face our fears and try to deal with them as best we can. There are many things along the way that can help. As your problems seem largely to stem from a specific incident I would imagine some kind of talking therapy may help you. Did you never get anything like that offered after you were attacked? Did the police ever catch those responsible? Do you still live in the area where it happened? (could you move somewhere different? Psychologically it might help put it behind you).

I have moved on from places where I have bad memories. It doesn't erase those memories, but I feel better for not walking down those streets.

Re: Looking for sum help

Hi Jamie, this sounds terrible and it's no wonder you can't go out without worrying! Well done on your first step.
    Have you looked into EMDR therapy? It's very good for specific trauma such as attacks.
    In the meantime take steps as slow as you need, as you say it can be a long journey but you will be able to move on from the attack. Sending all the best wishes

Thread Information