Thread: Why we give great advice, but struggle to take it!

Why we give great advice, but struggle to take it!

Have just noticed that people on this forum give fantastic advice to fellow sufferers when they are worried and need reassurance. We write with a rational brain and try and calm people down talking sense and reason.

Then the next day we are writing that we think we have cancer of the whatever and we seem to forget the great words of wisdom we imparted only a few ago ago!

Another part of this diease I guess - constant battle between rational and irrational brain thoughts.

I am struggling with thoughts of lung cacer today (tight chest, pain in upper pain and a cough) Dr says it's nothing but my anxiety, but do I believe her - hell no! Mind you last week it was pancreatic cancer and the week before it was stomach cancer, then ovarian cancer....you get my drift...I AM IRRATIONAL 90% of the time - I'll love to address the balance to 90/10 in favour of being rational!!

Re: Why we give great advice, but struggle to take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondie View Post
    Have just noticed that people on this forum give fantastic advice to fellow sufferers when they are worried and need reassurance. We write with a rational brain and try and calm people down talking sense and reason.

Then the next day we are writing that we think we have cancer of the whatever and we seem to forget the great words of wisdom we imparted only a few ago ago!

Another part of this diease I guess - constant battle between rational and irrational brain thoughts.

I am struggling with thoughts of lung cacer today (tight chest, pain in upper pain and a cough) Dr says it's nothing but my anxiety, but do I believe her - hell no! Mind you last week it was pancreatic cancer and the week before it was stomach cancer, then ovarian cancer....you get my drift...I AM IRRATIONAL 90% of the time - I'll love to address the balance to 90/10 in favour of being rational!!
    Hmm, I'm not convinced that is totally true and think that is why we can so often talk the talk but fail to walk the walk!

Whilst me may think that we post for altruistic reasons and to help others etc, the bottom line is that very often when we reply to posts we are just trying to rationalise and control our own fears and reassure ourselves. In short, we are talking to ourselves. Sometimes you can almost feel a compulsion to reply to somebody and if you actually take the time to stop and sit and think with that thought about what you wanted to say and why you wanted to say it it can be somewhat enlightening.

Thread Information