Thread: diazepam making depression worse?

diazepam making depression worse?

I have been taking diazepam on the odd occassion when my anxiety is overwhelming me. It helps, it takes away that awful fear that I can't get through another day. I have been careful not to take them too regularly and when I do, I only take 2.5mg, half of my prescribed dose. Yet, when I do, a short while later I feel low and I start thinking all sorts of bad stuff. I know this is because they are a depressant. I feel like I can't win as it is unbearable to get through a day with the anxiety at the heights it has been reaching but it is equally hard to get through the lows. I feel I am living a yo yo life (well....I do live a yo yo life anyway!) and choosing which I should live with for that day....anxiety or depression.

Do others find similar if they take diazepam or other benzos?

Happyone

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Re: diazepam making depression worse?

Hiya, i take diazepam and i find it can make me feel kinda low/flat which i'd expect coz its a CNS suppressant....But i find it also makes me cry a lot and say things a lot more 'bluntly' than i would normally too which i find really strange.

I take diazepam (2mg) when I have a really bad panic attack and don't feel 'down' afterwards...just gets me through the really back panics. However, I also take an anti-depressant every night so maybe that makes the reaction different. Hope you get it sorted out. XXX

I changed doctors a few months ago and she told me that diazepam, xanax, etc., can make depression worse. I don't take them now and I've noticed quite a difference. I am on Prozac though which is really helping to control the anxiety/panic. Good luck!

I have been taking Diazepam for many years and was once on a massive 40mg per day when I was im hospital. They do help me but I think the worse thing is coming off them when you have been on them for a prolonged period. I am now down to 15mg per day and working on coming off them completly. I think that a lot of people can benefit from a low dose when they only take it in emergencies.

Hi Happyone,

I have never taken Diazepam but have Klonopin. I have never been diagnosed as being depressed so perhaps that is why I never felt down when taking it. It only helped me from being so anxious that I would not feel like jumping out of a car as my hubby was driving or I was able to get on an airplane without screaming "We're going down" everytime we hit turbulance. Seriously, when you have really bad anxiety where you could harm yourself (not meaning to) by anxiety these pills are life saving. I would imagine though if you have bad side effects while taking them, they aren't meant for you. Prozac made me so shaky I could not hold a cup, not made for me! We are all wired differently. I hope this helps.

Love,

Laura

This seems like quite an obvious thing to me, but this is just my opinion. It seems like your are feeling some guilt about taking diazepam to deal with your anxiety, and as a result it is making you think bad/nagative thoughts. It may not be directly obvious that what you are thinking is connected to the guilt of taking diazepam, but it is creating a sort of turbulence sub-conciously.

Just my thoughts.

Sorry Happyone, I deleted my message in the end, it became a waffling mess. Have just realised the time,.. maybe try again tomorrow Zzzzz

Yes I do, exactly the same and I don't take as much as you. I sometimes take 1mg (or less ) to relax me when I go to be but I suffer for it the next day!

Thread Information