Thread: Asbestos Exposure Anxiety

Exclamation Asbestos Exposure Anxiety

I am a project manager for an asbestos abatement contractor i was stupid when I first started and was exposed to asbestos a couple of times when I could have avoided it.

The first one was after they were finished glovebagging piping insulation, we helped them load out. The issue was it was in a tunnel and it got dusty. It looked like concrete dust but not sure. It took about 2 hours total

The second one was I entered in containment when they were doing terrozo floor removal with trace amount of asbestos but also had to cut into concrete and it was dusty. That was for like 10 minutes

Should I be worried about future issues? I have take precautions now and am avoiding most contact with asbestos especially once our guys are in containment

Re: Asbestos Exposure Anxiety

Some of this depends on your smoking history. If you never smoked, I think only 10% of people exposed to asbestos get mesothelioma. It is higher for smokers and possibly former smokers, but I don't know the numbers. I have googled b/c I have been exposed myself through home improvement.

I don't think you should worry too much since you haven't had a ton of exposure but definitely share the history with your doctor and talk about whether screening makes sense, and what age to start if its advised, etc etc.

Re: Asbestos Exposure Anxiety

I have never smoked and don’t usually drink. Not sure if it matters, but I work out daily and eat somewhat healthy. I know I’m not as exposed as most because 2/3rd of my time is in office environment. I was just helping out and made dumb mistakes which made me exposed. I know my anxiety for some reason has really kicked into high gear

Thread Information