Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a dr say it's not life threatening when it is?

Would a dr say it's not life threatening when it is?

So as title says I'm really struggling ATM I've got something growing on my jaw joint in which I've had a CT scan and X Ray I've seen a consultant and senior registrar and they said its nothing o worry about it's not life threatening just will probably need surgery. But I'm waiting for a bone scan to see if the joint is active which means it's still growing .. He said something about a biopsy but he thinks it's burnt out so probably won't need one. But I'm scared it's cancer or a tumour to worry about. They both said don't worry it's not life threatening but it causes pain (probably more now I'm thinking about it) and I'm so worried it will be something to worry about and I keep thinking can it be something
    Bad if he told me it's not anything to worry about ? I'm so afraid.

Re: Would a dr say it's not life threatening when it is?

Okay, I am going through something similar in respect that I am doubting the reassurance doctors are giving me.. It is not a nice place to be.

There are horror stories out there when doctors have made wrong diagnosis's and the internet is full of them. There are less of the ones the stories where they get it right, because that's just not news.. right? What should help is just think about the numbers, I mean that they get it right most of the time, and through the mistakes they learn. Also, most doctors won't say anything if they are not completely sure. I am just saying the chances are that you'll get the surgery and after your recovery period you'll be up and running again are optimal and that is all you can ask for in life.

Try not to worry and just think that the odds are on your side.. you'll be fine, you'll see.

Thanks so much for your reply, I know and I keep thinking they are saying please don't worry it's nothing to worry about but I'm really struggling as there is something there and normally my anxiety turns out to be nothing but this time it's not. Okay I know they aren't saying it's something to worry about but when they say biopsy and all these things I can't help over think. I'm a mess I want this part of my life over with I'm crying all the time, thinking what if my son doesn't have me as his parent .. What if this is my last Christmas I can't stop thinking these thoughts wish I as strong X

You're essentially asking if your doctor would lie to you. Since doing so could open him up to legal issues, I can't see that happening. They have to lay it out there and when you have surgery, you're made aware of the risks, as minute as they can be. Every surgery I had, I signed a document saying I was made aware of those risks (which I was).

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Try to calm down,

You are doing what you can to get it addressed. If the doctors are saying it is not life threatening that most likely it is not. Just try to focus on the positive side, that you have at the moment. You have been told it is not life threatening, and they can sort it out with surgery, don't let your mind go away from that. Have a good Xmas and start planning the next one.

Would a dr say it's not life threatening when it is?
    nope they would tell you exactly what they think it is....they wouldn't say something just to reassure you

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You're essentially asking if your doctor would lie to you. Since doing so could open him up to legal issues, I can't see that happening. They have to lay it out there and when you have surgery, you're made aware of the risks, as minute as they can be. Every surgery I had, I signed a document saying I was made aware of those risks (which I was).

Positive thoughts

Yes that is what I'm basically asking tbh .. Everyone knows I'm anxious up there and I'm worried he's just said it for me not to worry. I know I will have o hear the risks but tbh I would rather not for surgery! Xx

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    nope they would tell you exactly what they think it is....they wouldn't say something just to reassure you

I jut wonder as I made such a scene! But te first doctor I saw was like I can't say it isn't cancer as I'm not allowed but if I was worried I would have you in tomorrow and if I had it I wouldn't worry it's pretty rare so I had o see head of department and senior registrar who said nt I worry but of course I can't help it I went back o the hospital and told my consultant I'm so afraid and he said again Oo this is nothing to even worry about... I shoul trust him and I do for about half a day and then it fades! 😔

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hypopotamus View Post
    Try to calm down,

You are doing what you can to get it addressed. If the doctors are saying it is not life threatening that most likely it is not. Just try to focus on the positive side, that you have at the moment. You have been told it is not life threatening, and they can sort it out with surgery, don't let your mind go away from that. Have a good Xmas and start planning the next one.

Thanks mate if I had no pain I don't think I would be worried but because I have I cant get it out of my bloody head .. Which in turn I'm sure is making it worse! And because it causes facial asymmetry I keep taking photos , comparing photos etc I'm a mess my husband says it's always been the same which we been together but then I think why is it painful now x

Absolutely not.

They might say, it might need further tests etc. etc. A doctor would never say that something is nothing to worry about unless they were absolutely sure. Due to legal issues and issues of conscience, the medical profession are super cautious these days.

Just a short story to reinforce my point....

The final leg in my diagnosis of Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer involved an appointment with an Oncology ENT. As with many here, I consulted Dr. Google and was sure it was lymphoma. Anyway... I went to the appointment and was examined. Before he said anything, I asked that he be totally up front with his thoughts. I had just survived my 2nd heart attack and stents.

He said these exact words (you don't forget moments like that) "This is cancer. I don't know what kind exactly but I've seen enough of it to know it's cancer".

He did a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) on the spot and I got my diagnosis 3 days later. And yep... Dr. Google was wrong. Not that I had cancer but the type. It wasn't lymphoma it was Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Makes lymphoma look like a kitten and the treatment is only one step down from the most difficult (bone cancer).

Not pretty is it? Now... think about what a doctor has to wrestle with internally when they have to tell a patient that. They take an oath. That oath is sacred. I think what your doctors have said to you would have made their day! "Nothing to worry about, at worst some minor surgery" is WAY better than "you have cancer".

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Both my brother and my dad have been to see consultants over lumps in various places. Each time the consultant has stated he doesn't believe it to be cancer but said he had to make the patient aware of the possibility.

Old fashioned doctoring was about not telling patients until they know. These days they are more open with patients as the NHS have charters about involving the patient in their treatment decisions.

Could a doctor lie? Yes, sadly it does happen as we see in the media but it's rare. There is no reason for them to tell you it's nothing life threatening when it is. They would be risking their licence and opening themselves up to prosecution and being sued. Think, what do they have to gain by this? I mentioned we have some doctors that do but in such cases you hear about the financial or other gains that were in it for them. There is really no gain in your case and the vast majority of doctors are very committed to what they do, the rare cases are in no way representative of anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information