Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pancreas

Pancreas

Hi, I have been trying really hard not to post a new thread but it is getying the better of me.
    I have been worrying about pancreatic cancer for a couple of weeks but tried looking on here rather than Dr Google! I am not complaining but unfortunately Paranoid Vikings thread has made me feel worse .I first had pain in upper back between waist and shoulder on left side about 6 months ago after what I thought was a tummy bug. I had had 2 bugs in fairly quick succession which was odd because in 40 years of teaching infants I only ever caught one. However, the pain went away and I stopped worrying but now I have it again. I thought it can't be too drastic as it went away for so long but after reading that people have it for years and it comes and goes i am scared again. I have been feeling nauseous and also have what i think is normal lower back pain. I also feel a bit fluey on and off. I know pc is difficult to diagnose so I am rather afraid of being the boy who cried 2olf 5his time and I really have something after years of worrying about breasts and thinking that ovarian cancer is the worst of my fears. Not sure if this is relevant but I have IBS, diverticular disease and type 2 diabetes.

Question Re: Pancreas

Hi, I have been trying really hard not to post a new thread but it is getying the better of me.
    I have been worrying about pancreatic cancer for a couple of weeks but tried looking on here rather than Dr Google! I am not complaining but unfortunately Paranoid Viking's thread has made me feel worse .I first had pain in upper back between waist and shoulder on left side about 6 months ago after what I thought was a tummy bug. I had had 2 bugs in fairly quick succession which was odd because in 40 years of teaching infants I only ever caught one. However, the pain went away and I stopped worrying but now I have it again. I thought it can't be too drastic as it went away for so long but after reading that people have it for years and it comes and goes i am scared again. I have been feeling nauseous and also have what i think is normal lower back pain. I also feel a bit fluey on and off. I know pc is difficult to diagnose so I am rather afraid of being the boy who cried wolf this time and I really have something after years of worrying about breasts and thinking that ovarian cancer is the worst of my fears. Not sure if this is relevant but I have IBS, diverticular disease and type 2 diabetes.

Re: Pancreas

Hi, yes that thread has triggered some of my old fears too. Let's look at it logically though, if we've only just started having the symptoms after reading his posts then chances our it's our health anxiety talking to us. I think it's best to keep away from threads like that when you are in a sensitised state.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. Sorry no accidentally posted my first post twice when trying to correct typos. Another of my obsessions. I am sure you are right but I was feeling discomfort already you see and hoping that some of the replies to him would help.

I agree with Primula. Some of these threads are so catastrophising and really bad for people who are in the midst of HA uncertainty and worry. The OPs never stop to think how triggering these topics are as they just want instant reassurance at all costs. Avoid threads like these like the plague. They are inaccurate, unhelpful and distorted.

Lyndau, I'm sure your symptoms are harmless but a simple amylase blood test could monitor your pancreatic function if you can't shift your worries. You would need to believe the result though.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    The OPs never stop to think how triggering these topics are as they just want instant reassurance at all costs.
    HA is a very "selfish" illness

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Positive thoughts
    Yet there are those who suffer yet still are able to appreciate how certain topics are triggering and try to spare other people from too much angst. It just takes thought.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

And I believe that it is wrong to indulge HA and use it as an excuse for attention-seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by lyndau63 View Post
    I have been worrying about pancreatic cancer for a couple of weeks but tried looking on here rather than Dr Google! I am not complaining but unfortunately Paranoid Vikings thread has made me feel worse .I first had pain in upper back between waist and shoulder on left side about 6 months ago after what I thought was a tummy bug. I had had 2 bugs in fairly quick succession which was odd because in 40 years of teaching infants I only ever caught one. However, the pain went away and I stopped worrying but now I have it again. I thought it can't be too drastic as it went away for so long but after reading that people have it for years and it comes and goes i am scared again. I have been feeling nauseous and also have what i think is normal lower back pain. I also feel a bit fluey on and off. I know pc is difficult to diagnose so I am rather afraid of being the boy who cried 2olf 5his time and I really have something after years of worrying about breasts and thinking that ovarian cancer is the worst of my fears. Not sure if this is relevant but I have IBS, diverticular disease and type 2 diabetes.
    Oh shit. I am so sorry if my threads were scaring you. That was never my intention but, yeah; there is a dilemma about reassurance seeking on these boards.
    But, but, hold on, hold on. Maybe the answer to your symptoms llies in the last things you write. IBS gives nasty symptoms, we all know that. I dont know what diverticular disease is but diabetes 2 matches a lot of those symptoms right?
    Once again, I feel awfully sorry and bad if something I wroote was triggering. I really really feel guilty.
    But I can tell you that I feel much better today because I am on a 3 days diet without coffee, spicy food and alcohol. One thing is that fearing pancreatic cancer is probably a million times more likely than actually having it. I will guess that at least 99% of those people writing on various boards that they fear they have PC probably dont have it.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Primula View Post
    Hi, yes that thread has triggered some of my old fears too. Let's look at it logically though, if we've only just started having the symptoms after reading his posts then chances our it's our health anxiety talking to us. I think it's best to keep away from threads like that when you are in a sensitised state.
    Yes, symptoms often magically appears when we think of them. Muscle strains.

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Positive thoughts
    Yes, I know, HA can make us very self centred. And I feel a ot of guilt over that. Over the amount of hours I spend browsing the net for nightmare confirmation of your worst fear.

But I can say that me myself, whome the OP quote as making her more scared(and I take responsibility for that, be sure about it)was triggered THIS SUMMER on a post here on NMP. Yes, when my fear of PC was calming down and things got better, in came on guy posting pictures of his eyes fearing it was jaundice. He posted the pictures while he was under bilrubin testing; some gave reassurance, but still; he got confirmed he had jaundice. And just like that; afte telling us that and inform us he would go for CT screening, the poster disappeared and has not been heard from since that day. I was a bit upset that someone could post pictures of eyes like that and then confirm the woorst fears to us. After that, because of that post, I became obsessed with looking at my eyes, and my fear of PC was back in full blown force and only got worse. Not because of something I had seen on a cancer forum or awareness site, but something postet HERE! I tokk bilrubin testing because of that; was negative; but got B12 defiency confirmed which boosted my fear more.
    I dont know if that is OK or not in here, it is up to the admins to decide. Maybe I went to far aswell; and in that case I am sorry for it. But where do we draw the lines. Men myself find it unapropritate to post pictures of body parts, but others may think different. I draw a limit there, other may have other limits. Dunno.
    Last edited by paranoid-viking; 22-11-17 at 21:08.

The dangers of reading some of the posts on here..Can be worse than Dr Google.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    The dangers of reading some of the posts on here..Can be worse than Dr Google.

I know. And the jaundice post from this summer here on NMP is the most frightening thing I read on this forum since I first came in here.

Fish is right; HA is a selfish condition indeed. We are desperately seeking reassurance and often on others behalf.

I will try to be more sensitive; I learn from my mistake. And I gurantee you that I will NEVER EVER post pictures of body parts.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information